0.01 - The Beginning

I stare back at the blue holographic letter glowing in front of me. Huh, is this like a touchscreen? Its faint glow is the only source of light in the surrounding void of emptiness.

Ten seconds ago, I left the realm of the living. All I remember was trying to drive back home to New York to visit my parents before New Year's and the blinding white headlights of a truck driving straight at me, paralyzing me like a deer, accepting my fate. Strangely enough, while I do have all of the memories of my life, I can't recall my own name. Sorrow bleeds into me with its acidic gnawing at leaving my loved ones behind, and the life that I cannot continue.

Goodbye, Mom and Dad. I will remember you in my heart and wish you all the goodness in the world. Goodbye, friends. May you move forward in your life and find happiness. Goodbye, husband and children I'll never have.

I am an atheist and never believed in life after death, but this kind of afterlife seems a bit too businesslike for me. TTI sounds like an omnipotent, eternal being with no real central power, but the game is a good source of entertainment. Maybe karma does exist, and that's why I was chosen. Sure I liked being a lazy couch potato, but I volunteered often at the children's ward of the hospital my mom worked in. Little kids are too adorable with their baby fat!

I stare back at the ethereally glowing plane of text. Do I even have fingers to tap yes? A checkmark in the same electric blue color as the rest of the letter appears on the box next to the "Yes" part, answering my thought. A new text box pops up.

Are you sure?
[] Yes
[] No

Yes. I was an A/B college student who didn't have any close friends and mostly kept to myself. Never decided upon a major or my post-college plans either. I've always loved reading stories and becoming immersed into characters' lives. This seems like a fun adventure, and best of all, it doesn't cost money.

The loading symbol replaces the screen.

Loading......(0%)
Loading......(46%)
Loading......(79%)
Loading......(89%)
Loading......(98%)
Loading......(99%)
Loading......(99%)
Loading......(99%)
Loading......(99%)
Loading......(100%)
Loading Complete.

Welcome to Transmigration Travelers. You will enter the simulation soon.

How soon is soon?

Now, actually.

Who are you?? o-O'

I am System #001, your guide and helper throughout this ranking system. Would you like to view your stats?

Of course! You sound so formal though. Lighten up a little, and let's become besties.

Player Profile: Transmigrator #001
Current Name - N/A
Level - 0 (1,000 more cumulative soul points to level up)
Soul points - 0/0 cumulative soul points

Stats:
Endurance: 32/100
Agility: 10/100
Strength: 20/100
Intelligence: 50/100
Charm: 80/100
Luck: 5/100

Skills: Studying (med), Perceptiveness (high), Piano (very high) and Drama (low)

I have been alive since the first ranked season thousands of years ago, so I have seen far more about souls and TTI than you will ever experience, Earthling. I will be loyal to you, but in no way will I be your "bestie."

Hmph, meanie!!

Your stats are below average for a Transmigrator starting out, and your luck...

What does luck do, Genie?

... My name is System #001. Was that an attempt to reference a movie, Earthling?

Yes, Genie, yes it was. So, are you into this nickname fight? I'm a fan of allusions if you haven't realized already.

Many family nights were spent cuddled into each other on the couch watching movies play on the flatscreen TV, a giant bowl of microwave popcorn shared between the three of us. I wonder if my parents will be able to move on knowing that their only child is gone. A pain of guilt resounds through me, but I try to console myself knowing that they want the best for me and wish me happiness no matter what. They wouldn't want me to cry or be sad all the time.

Sigh, it seems as if I have to deal with a squealing fangirl for a year. No matter, I will partake in this duel of names.

Hey, don't be so sassy towards me, Oldie. I do not squeal like a pig and happen to be quite lovable.

Prove yourself through words not actions and do not resort to insults on my age. It is childish and unbecoming of an esteemed Transmigrator. Anyways, luck increases your chances of success in mission worlds by giving you easier missions with higher rewards or generally make the missions and tasks easier to complete.

How are the mission worlds ranked?

They are similar to the five-star rankings you had in your past life for hotels and restaurants. Half a star is the easiest with the least cost and rewards while five-stars are the most difficult to experience and much more costly. Because we have just started, our first world would be a half-star. I cannot predict what the plot of the world will be as it is all randomized, but you will be transported into the body as one of the characters.

Hm, I've read transmigrating novels before. I would receive the character's memory and what the plot would have been like if I didn't transmigrate, right?

Yes, that is correct. You do not lose any TTI Time of the ranked season while in between two mission worlds, so you can spend as much time as you want to browse through the system or skill shop. You can access these shops during your mission worlds too but it would cost time. Do you have any more questions before we start?

No, I'm ready. I mentally roll back my shoulders and solidify my gaze on the empty void around me.

A glowing electric blue screen appears in front of me, the letters "TTI" in the bottom right corner with a logo of two arrows cycling into each other showing ongoing reincarnation of souls with a cloud as the background. In the center are the outlines of five stars, a band of bright blue light flashing back and forth - lightning fast before slowing - to halfway fill the first star. A half-star like Oldie predicted.

His voice is always so solemn and professional. It makes me want to hear him laugh.

You do know that I can listen to you even when you are not directly speaking to me?

Ahhh, why do you have to pop out of nowhere?

Oldie responds by switching the screen to a smorgasbord of pictures labeled with the names of different worlds. There are pages upon pages of these worlds, and an outline of blue light shifts between them before finally stopping on one: Life's Melody. The accompanying picture is of a young, pretty teenage girl with eyes closed in solitary bliss while playing a grand piano with illustrations of colorful music notes swirling around her.

Time to get into character.

——
A/N
What are your opinions? Why is writing so time-consuming? My brain turns into mush. Kudos to all the people who write for fun.