20: Fading Away

Christian's POV

My head is pounding. I open my eyes and bright white lights glare back at me. When my eyes focus, I see a nurse standing next to me. I look around – am I in a hospital? Immediately, I remember everything that led up to this. Angeline, the club, the gun... Is (Y/n) okay?

I jump up from bed but wince as a sharp pain shoots through my side. The nurse rushes over, reattaching the machines hooked up to me.

"Be careful, Christian." She gives me a sympathetic look. "You got shot. You've been in a coma for two days, you just woke up briefly earlier today. You need rest."

She smiles and walks out of the room.

I need to know if (Y/n) is okay. I only remember bits and pieces... But I swear to god if anything happened to her.

I rest my head up against the pillow. Slowly, details flood back to me. Everything from the night at the club. The rage I felt inside me when Angeline showed up, pretending to be somebody else. Not long after, (Y/n) and Clinton disappeared, and we knew nothing good could've come from it. Mitchel knew that Angeline's parents' vacation house was right outside of the city, so that was the first place we checked after checking the club. We pulled up and of course her car was there.

Suddenly, a knock comes from the door and a beautiful face peers in.

"Hello?" (Y/n) says. "I heard someone's awake."

I chuckle. "I guess I am."

I couldn't be happier to see her and hear her voice.

She slowly walks over and pulls a chair up to my bed. It's embarrassing for her to see me like this – vulnerable and sick in bed. She smiles and holds my hand.

"You know, I thought you died." Tears begin to well up in her eyes, but she quickly brushes them away.

I shrug, holding back the tears in my own eyes. Silence falls across the room. I should say something, but I'm at a loss for words. I don't want any more sad moments, all I want is good times again. Going hiking, our long talks, playing NBA and throwing pillows at each other. But now, it's just – silence.

(Y/n) startles my thoughts as she whispers, "I don't know what I'd do without you."

I smile faintly.

"I know. That's why I saved you. You're my best friend. I'd be lost without you, too."

She pulls her hand away and looks down.

"What is it, (Y/n)?"

"No, I – I need to tell you something," she starts.

"I've been doing a lot of thinking these past few days. I just need you to know... I never forgot the first night we met, the night on the roof of the bus and cuddling in the bunk. Then Clinton and I got together, but my heart wasn't complete."

"I realized emotions are never black and white. You have to figure them out for yourself. I blocked my feelings out, but I don't know why. Whenever you entered any room, I lost my breath. My heart would beat faster whenever you walked by. Whenever you stood close to me and talked, I got goosebumps."

"It wasn't until the night that everything happened that I snapped into reality and realized that you weren't just my best friend.... I was falling in love with you."

Silence falls across the room again. I can feel my heart beat faster and a smile spread across my face, but it slowly disappears.

"What's wrong?" (Y/n) asks.

"I just – I want this to be real. You know that I truly love you."

I pause.

"I guess what I'm saying is... I know I got shot, and I know you're mad at Clinton. But I don't want you to have false feelings because you feel bad for me, whether you realize it or not."

She looks upset... Shit, I shouldn't have said that.

She wipes tears away from her eyes and stands up.

"I need you, Kras. If you don't understand, that's fine. Anyway, you should get some rest."

She kisses my forehead and walks toward the door. Before she opens the door, she turns around.

"No matter what, I really do love you."

Your POV

As you sign out at the front desk of the hospital, you think about everything that just happened. You can't wrap your mind around it.

You walk outside to have a smoke but see a bright red sign that reads "NO SMOKING." You decide to walk home, since your Air BnB is only 10 minutes from the hospital. You light up a cigarette and text the boys that you're on your way home.

Cars pass you by, one with music playing. You hear "Girls" by The 1975. You think of the moments when life was happy, nothing to worry about. Before you fell in love with either of the boys, just when you were having fun with the boys and your best friend. How did it end up like this?

You turn the corner to the street of the Air BnB. You couldn't be happier to get into bed. Even though you know the sadness won't go away tomorrow, you just want it to go away for a while.

Your phone vibrates and you pull it out of your pocket. The number that you see is one that you've been dreading to see on your phone. Reluctantly, you answer.

"Hello?"

"(Y/n), I know where you are and what you've been doing."

She sounds mad.

Your voice shakes.

"Mom... I can explain-"

"(F/n) told me everything. I know you aren't on a summer vacation."

She pauses, waiting for answer, but continues when she doesn't get one.

"You need to come home. We need to talk."

You shake your head, even though you know she can't see you.

"But Mom-"

"I'm serious." She says. "There's something I need to talk to you about."

You don't know what to say. You want to answer, but nothing comes out.

"Now, (Y/n)."

You hear a click and realize she hung up. You walk over to the steps of the apartment and sit down. Finally, tears stream down your face. Why now? Why?

Will you stay with Christian or go home? What will you tell the boys? What does your mom have to tell you?