16: Dancer in the Dark

Mitchel's POV

What the hell did I do? She's actually here.

I know how everyone felt about her. I'm using all of my strength to hold Christian back. All I can see is pure resentment in his eyes. The first one to speak is Kras, not surprisingly.

"That's not-" he starts.

I cut him off. This could go south very fast. "Jaida, he means that's nice to meet you."

She smiles at us.

The boys look at me confused, and I shoot them glare. I mouth the words, "Follow along."

I don't think (Y/n) notices. But they're friends? Is this what she was talking about when she met me in her car in front of our Air BnB?

(Y/n) breaks the silence. "Let's get everyone drinks!"

--------

Clinton's POV

Sitting in a round booth towards the back of the club, (Y/n) is sitting across from us with Jaida. (Y/n) looks thrilled that everyone is meeting her new friend, but she doesn't notice the look of both interrogation and pure satisfaction on Jaida's face next to her.

How did I let this happen? I need to protect (Y/n).

But I remain speechless. Jesse nudges me from under the table and clears his throat.

"Um- Jaida. Tell us about yourself," Jesse says.

Jaida beams. "Oh, I've been a fan of you boys since I first heard of you. You really caught my eye." She winks. "It was something about you got me totally hooked."

I cringe. I can't believe she's back. Friends with my girlfriend.

She continues. "And now we're all here! I've been waiting for this. Cheers!"

Everyone raises their glasses: Christian holding back his frustration, the boys' faces twisted in confusion, (Y/n) glowing with happiness, and her. Her face. I can't quite make out the emotion in her face, but I know that smirk anywhere.

"(Y/n), Clinton!" Jaida stands up from the booth. "Want to come outside for a smoke with me? I want to get to know my best friend's man better! Especially where I can hear you!" She laughs over the music.

I start to think of an excuse but (Y/n) jumps up and grabs my hand. "Let's go!"

--------

We walk down the street and stop under a streetlight. It would be quite a beautiful night if it weren't for Jaida.

Jaida lights up a cigarette, smiling directly at me. "How are you feeling love?"

(Y/n)'s eyes narrow suspiciously. "Excuse me?"

I glanced at her confused as the streetlight began to dim. No – everything began to get darker. The ground swayed underneath my feet, and then I felt my head hit the pavement.