| Chapter 07

What does Kay do best when she's stressed out, nervous, and dealing with too much?

Sleep. I sleep.

Brian was good at catching the clues. Just minutes after Jun left to unwind, Brian led me over to the motel bed. It wasn't for lovemaking or smooching, which could've been good, too. But he turned into my human body pillow. Laid down on the pillows for me, opened his arms wide, and when I found the comfy nook between his arm and chest and closed my eyes, he let me sleep.

I wasn't sure how long I'd been out by the time I opened my eyes again, but the sun was a lot lower in the sky, the room wasn't as bright, and Brian—Mr. Sweetheart Brian—decided to sleep with me.

As I lifted my head, I did it as softly as possible. His chest rose and fell beneath me, long deep breaths. I pulled my hand out from under me, placing it above his heart. When he stirred, I smiled because I thought he'd wake up. Instead, he shifted and pulled me closer. My smile grew.

A part of me thought we could just stay this way; locked in each other's arms, sleeping away the day. It had been a while since we did it. But I knew Rianne and Sean were getting tired of running the shop of their own for our spontaneous weekends. I mean, they never said it, but I would have been tired of it. Like, the bosses are never there at work and the little ones carry the load? It had to be poop.

Once I had brought it up to Rianne, asked if it was okay. I remember she said, "You guys left like, twice. It's fine."

Wasn't two times a lot? We were already closed on Sundays.

Next to me, Brian stirred again, and I looked at his face. His eyes slowly moved under their lids, shifting through a dream. With the way he seemed so relaxed, I wondered if he dreamt of me, of our life, our future child. The three were in my dreams a lot; every time I woke up with a smile.

Lately, however, I thought of my mother. And the vibrating phone on the nightstand reminded me of what I was in town to do.

Come to terms with this fake Harmony.

As I turned to grab my phone, Brian's arm stretched with me. His hand wrapped around my wrist before sliding up into mine. Our fingers linked effortlessly. When I turned and looked at him, he looked back at me with hooded, bedroom eyes. Shimmers of golden flecks peered at me.

I sighed, swooning inwardly.

He's forever beautiful.

"We're napping," he said, voice groggy.

"I know," I whispered. I pulled my hand from mine to touch his face, slowly tracing the scar along his chin. "And we've been napping for a while."

"Okay." Brian leaned into my touch. His cheek pressed into my palm, his eyes closed. With a satisfied sigh, I moved his head back against the pillow as if my touch meant everything to him, His reaction made me smile.