| Chapter 22

There wasn't a reason to go back to the motel room

There wasn't a reason to go back to the motel room. What started off as an emotional night shifted into an equally sensitive dinner. My mother opened up to Jun, just as she'd done with me. Listening to her plead with her children to stay by herself was enough for all of us to cry the night away. Even Brian stood close, eyes shimmering as he leaned against the living room couch.

So, no, we couldn't go back. We stayed. And my father had no objections to us staying the night.

We were all family. One house. One roof o—

I just hadn't thought of Brian and me sleeping in my old room. My mother had left it unchanged. I had been obsessed with One Direction, Romeo Santos, and Harry Potter, and the sun-stained posters on my wall were my reminder. And it wasn't just the heartthrobs littered around my room; there were the bookshelves filled to the brim with books, the dresser decorated with anime collectibles, and the old MacBook on my corner desk where my old final fantasy fanfics found live.

While I lay in Brian's arms, he caught the side of me he'd never seen. At least, hadn't seen it to this extent.

Pulling my old, pink, fluffy blanket over us on the bed, Brian snuggled close and spooned me. I giggled, nestling my head against my pillow.

"I never thought I'd be back here," I whispered as I scanned my old lilac walls. Even with the moonlight, I could still make out the color.

"Your old room?" One of Brian's arms looped around me to hold me tightly. "What's wrong with it?"

"Uh—" I looked back at Brian, wide-eyed, and had to laugh. "Do you not see this stuff?" I asked.

"I mean," he shrugged as he smirked, "it's cute all of your stuff is still here. You know I'd kill if I still had my shit at my parents' house. All of those Pokémon cards I used to collect. Do you know how much they're worth now?"

"Pokémon?" Now, I really laughed. Loud, too. Someone down the hall, I wasn't sure who shushed me. It sounded like my father because their room was so close. But the impatience of it reminded me of Jun; his room was right next door.

Biting my lip, I glanced at the door to my room, only realizing it had been left ajar. Because of that, I dropped my voice to a whisper. "I didn't think you collected cards."

"I was a kid once, too, you know," Brian whispered back. "I lived a little."

"A little?" I blinked. "How many did you have? Any holographic ones, any—"

"All right, all right." Brian pressed his face against the crook of my neck, pressing tiny kisses against my skin. When I quietly giggled, Brian said, "This wasn't supposed to be an interrogation, I was just being honest."

What he said sort of it perfectly. That seemed to be the theme of the night—honesty. My mother was determined to have honesty in our family because lies and secrets had done nothing for us. My father broke down his own walls, too, admitting to the past.