| Chapter 01

There was something about the rain

There was something about the rain. For a lot of people, it was freeing. I guess I thought so too, considering, you know, I left home on a rainy day. Sometimes it felt like it happened just yesterday; I said goodbye to my parents and swore I would never go back home.

Well, that was what I told myself, not them, but I kept that in me. A promise to the old me, to save me. Protect myself from the 'demons' of my past.

Demons have a way of coming back.

Just like the rain, always returning, brewing storms. I mean, we needed it. Rains helped the flowers grow and watered the trees of the planet. For people, rain could push away the summer heat and lead the way to perfect sweater weather.

I just didn't see any good with shadows returning, or darkness. Brian told me, and reminded me, a person couldn't keep running. I mean, they could, but a shadow would always be behind them. When I said that to him, he insisted on opening the right door. Allow a different light to create a nice shadow because shadows were a natural occurrence. It meant we were living, breathing human beings.

Brian knew this from experience. And because I was the one who guided him to different open doors, allowing new light into his life, he swore he would do the same for me.

That was the reason why he rented a Sedan and packed it with two bags with enough clothes to get us through the next few days. Why he had called Rianne and Kyle, asking if they were open and available to watch the coffee shop for a while. If Brian hadn't been the one to take Jun's call a week back, I didn't think we'd be outside in the rain, rushing away from the life we had just started to create; away from the shop we cared for together.

Brian said it was needed.

It felt like we were running back into the storm. And who did that? We weren't storm chasers or anything.

"Kay!"

With a bag clutched in my hands, I watched Brian load up the car with bags, snacks, and those pills that kept me from puking up my lungs. Who said pregnancy was fun?

Even though he called my name, I didn't move.

"Kay?" He looked at me, water beating down on his face. His hands gripped the door to the car's trunk. "Get in the car. We're running late."

Thunder roared through the morning and lighting sliced the clouds right after. Cupping my hands over my eyes, I looked up at the raging storm.

Why was it raining? The weatherman said partly cloudy, not oh-shit a tornado's brewing.

"Kay!" Brian slammed the trunk closed and with his jacket barely over his head, he came under the cover of the small balcony above me. It was raining so bad it took two hand swipes to clean his face. Still, he was soaked. And I sort of thought it was funny.

"There's a marathon today on the parenting channel. You know, that show with all the horrible side effects." I gripped my bag and looked at the car he had left running. "Wouldn't it be cool to watch it?"