| Chapter 06

"This—"

"This—"

One suitcase hit the bed.

"Is—"

A backpack followed.

"—Bullshit!"

As Brian locked the door to room 112, our motel space for the night, Jun watched as I chucked bags on the single, queen size bed. I grunted as the backpack fell with a plop. A part of me wanted to rush over and pick it up, in case something inside of it broke.

Then I remembered there was just clothes in there. No electronics.

Brian's keys landed on the nightstand before he made his way over to me. In one motion, his arm went around my shoulders, his lip pressed to the top of my head. I felt the kiss against my curls. For a second, I leaned into his touch. But when he drew back and I looked at him, I noticed the cut on his lip reddened, darkened, and bruised.

I frowned and cupped his face. "Who punched you? Mario or my dad?"

Brian's brows lifted as I stroked the cut with my thumb. "What?"

Jun chuckled near the door before walking over towards the single chair near the bed. He dropped down on it, crossed one leg over the other before he leaned back, arms settling on the armrests. He looked at the two of us as we looked at him. "Dad's punched people," he said with a sniff. "Especially if he doesn't agree with the situation."

"Situation?" Brian straightened, brows pressed close together.

"Yeah, situations," I muttered as I passed my thumb over his lip once more before I walked around toward the bag that had fallen. Reaching down, I lifted it by its strap and tossed it on the bed. As I unzipped the main pocket open, I glanced up at my brother. His head was dipped back, eyes to the ceiling.

When he sighed, I sighed. "Our dad has control issues," I said, pulling a small towel from inside the backpack. With a quick look at it, I turned for the bathroom in the corner of the room. I flipped on the cold water tap and pressed the towel beneath the stream. "He's punched a few people because of it."

"So, he would've punched me?"

When I turned back into the room, Brian stared at me, wide-eyed. I pressed the damp towel to his lip. "Based on your reactions," I exhaled sharply through my nose, "it wasn't my dad. It was Mario."

"Look," closing his eyes, Brian shook his head, "the last thing I wanted was to get into a fight in front of your dad."

"Oh, fuck our dad." With a huff, Jun shifted forward in his seat. His elbows landed on his knees as he looked at us again. "He picks and chooses his situations. Then forces it on us kids."

"Yup." I pursed my lips as I wiped the rest of the dried blood off Brian's face. "Then only thing is, Jun and I aren't kids anymore, so—"

"So, forcing situations on us doesn't fly anymore." Jun pushed against his knees as he stood up from the chair. "If it wasn't for our mother, we wouldn't be here."