| Chapter 09

My mother pressed the power button on her coffee machine as the front door opened

My mother pressed the power button on her coffee machine as the front door opened. I listened to the sound of walking steps before I glanced back into the living room to see who walked inside.

At first, I saw my father. He slid his hand over his low-cut hair before looking towards the kitchen. He paused at the couch; mouth pulled into a frown. His gaze locked on mine. For a second, I smiled, just a small one. And when he gave me the same look back, I saw myself, because I looked just like him.

"Oh, is that your father?" my mother asked behind me. I looked back as she made herself comfortable in a chair. "Tell him I'm making coffee."

Before I could tell him, he made his way into the kitchen. He noted the steam and smell of dark roast before placing his hand on my shoulder. We looked at each other—his brown eyes to mine—before he pulled me in for a small hug. He kissed my cheek. "Hi, nena," he said to me before walking towards my mother. When he reached her, he knelt down enough to kiss the top of her head. "Mi vida," he said.

"Andres." As he moved past her, his hand brushed over hers enough that she was able to grab it, lift it to her lips, and kiss the top of his fingers. "El café will only be a few minutes."

"Okay," he said with a smile as he glanced back at my mother at the table. Before disappearing into the dining room just next to the kitchen, he looked at me. I thought he would say something, considering how long we looked at each other. A part of me thought he'd mention Mario because the whole world knew I hated the guy; it wasn't a secret, especially during the days I decided to up and leave.

But my father didn't say a word. He nodded, reached into his back pocket for his car keys and hung them on a hook near the refrigerator, then left the room.

I bit my lip as more footsteps echoed in the living room behind me.

"Mom?" I looked at my mother as Jun brushed past me. There was pizza in his hands, and it smelled great, but the look on his face didn't help. He gave a quick eye roll before following our father into the next room.

"Yes, nena?" My mother folded her hands in front of her as she looked at me. The smile on her face brought wrinkles to her eyes.

Before I could look back at the next person walking into the house, she stretched a hand out across the table. Her fingers wiggled. I laughed for a second before sitting across from her, taking her hand in mine.

"What is it?" she asked.

My brows lifted. What isn't it?  "Okay, I get that I have a lot to tell you, right?" I nodded slowly as I spoke. "And obviously you have a lot to tell us, too, that's why we're here?"

She nodded as slowly as I did.

"Okay." I let her hand go. "But I was wondering... why does Mario have to be here, too?"

My mother's brows shot up, her eyes wide. Then, her expression softened. "Ay, nena, you know we taught you long ago you cannot hold on to anger, hm? How else can you move on if you do? If you let it go, then it's easy."