| Chapter 21

This was it

This was it. I leaned back against the uncomfortable cot in this single cell. With my head against what I assumed was a pillow, I rested my arm on my forehead, eyes on the ceiling. A bulb flickered. Staring at the dying light, I weighed out the pros and cons of the weekend.

While it felt there weren't many pros to the past two days, I knew there were some. I saw the town Kay grew up in, even if it had more bad than good in her memories. But Kay managed to find something nice to show me, a festival that used to bring her all kinds of joy. That warmed me, to see a part of her brighten and come to life.

And in the midst of it all, despite the bullshit and outside drama, we still had time for each other; to open up to one another. Moments we couldn't have lately with the business at the shop. Being alone in a room was where we had that time, even if being in the town of Harmony was the last thing we wanted.

That's where the pros ended. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath. "Shit..."

The cons outweighed the pros. Her parents were just as she described them. Jun was able to give his confirmed stamp, too. Adding Mario to the mix, it was mayhem just waiting to boil with all of the oncoming storms. It pained me to know I made her come here; I unintentionally brought Kay into a heavy hit of sadness, anxiety, and stress. All the things doctors advise against when pregnant.

I squeezed my eyes and bumped my head back against the bed. The pillow did nothing to relieve the impact, as one would expect. "Shit..." I whispered again.

The first thing I'm going to do when I see Kay tells her how sorry I am. This is my fault.

Opening my eyes, I stared st the cracks in the ceiling. I thought of Kay's beautiful smile, her warm smile, and her touch. Thinking over everything that happened, I realized more than ever that she and I weren't different from each other. While she was bubbly, happy, and always willing to help, her demons were dark just like mine were. Our pasts, though on different parallels, were the same shade.

She always said she wanted my memories to be lighter. I needed to do the same for her.

Being in a jail cell wasn't going to help.

"Okay, that's great. Why don't you just tell us how much Brian's bail is so we can get him out of here, huh?"

I perked at the sound of Jun's voice. Immediately, I sat up, eyes toward the bars separating me from freedom. A sense of relief came over me. A smile crept up on my face. Jun was here, he came back for me.

Sighing, I slid my hand through my short hair. I hoped it didn't look bad. Who knew what this cot did to me, but I knew I had to look like shit. If Kay was with Jun, I didn't want her to see me this way.

But seeing her will all of this feel right.

"Oh, okay, so there's no bail then?" Jun laughed. The sound of a hand slapping against a counter followed. "They you've got him here on some bullshit charge, then?"