| Chapter 02

With the help of music, I was able to focus on the sides of the road and the other cars as Brian drove us towards Harmony

With the help of music, I was able to focus on the sides of the road and the other cars as Brian drove us towards Harmony. Despite the name of the town, it was everything but peace and tranquility. Small town, tiny hopes, insignificant dreams—that was how I remembered it. Passing the sign meant to welcome outsiders, I felt sick.

Or maybe I needed a snack. I am hungry.

I pressed my back against the passenger seat and stared ahead, out the front window. In front of the car, open with minimal cars, was the road leading to my past. There was a gas station right when you entered. When I glanced at its entrance and saw Lester, the owner's son, I shook my head; he hadn't left, not once, and never let Kujo free either. The poor dog barked as we drove past.

To the left were some retail stores, nothing fancy. A grocery store, a butcher—why they couldn't be in the same place, I never knew—and a convenience store where all the teenagers of Harmony brought their snacks. And did their crimes.

I had to straighten my back as we passed the small shop. From its side window, I saw Ms. Lou, the cashier who neither owned it nor cared for it, but she was nice to all the kids, so the town let it slide.

She may not have given two fucks about the contents of the store—which was how so many teens got away with candy—but she made sure those who needed help received it.

I never got to thank her for that day behind the shop. I never forgave Mario, either. Even though I went right back.

"Kay?" Brian stopped at a streetlight. The red pulled my attention like a warning. But with one hand still on the wheel, Brian used his other to caress my wrist. When I looked at his face, he smiled. It was weak, and weary because I knew he worried about me.

Were my emotions really on my face like that? Was it that obvious I didn't want to come home?

"I know we just got here," Brian said, "but we can go. Just say the word."

He dipped his head back against the headrest. The streetlight changed back to green, but with no cars behind us, no one honked, and no one rushed us. I could fall into his loving gaze and calm down; I could breathe.

Biting my lip, I leaned my head back, too. "We're already here," I said. "Besides, if we left, I think Jun would be upset."

Brian slowly nodded as he looked back at the light. Still green. Still waiting for us to move.

"I understand that," he said, looking back at me. "You two have a lot to get through." The look on his face changed; a little happier, cheery. He gave me a wide smile as he tapped the steering wheel. "So, where to? You said you were hungry, right? Anywhere good to eat here?"

I blinked. Good to eat? In Harmony? There wasn't anything around like the city. "We've got a Burger King," I muttered, then looked at the window. "Or, at least we did."