| Chapter 23

I stared at the clock on the wall as it reached ten in the morning

I stared at the clock on the wall as it reached ten in the morning. Mario's little "give me attention," trick didn't work, thankfully, but it also wasn't what we needed. After the night we had, the news told to me and Jun, we needed a peaceful breakfast. Closure needed to end in a happy way, right? Or else it didn't work the way it should've. It just had to be my past to mess it all up.

At least, that was what went through my head. For Brian and Jun, they saw it as a small victory—Brian especially. Mario cowered at them and my father; he turned tail and ran. I may not have faced my demon head-on, but I sure as hell saw him at his weakest. I needed that.

And as for happiness, the way my mother sat with me in the living room, it was what I needed. My father stood outside with the car, which was normal. It was how he dealt with the pressures of the world; his version of a flower vase or distraction. We may have acted differently on the outside, but it felt like my father and I had a lot more in common. We Just needed our walls to fall down at the same time in order to see it.

The clock on the way passed another minute. Right with the minute hand settled on the 5 on the clock's face, Brian's hand settled on my shoulder. With my coffee in my hand, I glanced up at him. I smiled when he smiled down at me.

"I'm stepping out with Jun," he said, his thumb gently stroking my back.

Frowning, I glanced back at the stairs heading into the living room. My brother slowly descended pushing his arms into his red sweater. At the bottom step, he zipped it up and smiled at me.

"Where are you guys going?" I asked, my gaze bouncing between the two of them. My mother stepped back into the kitchen with coffee for herself and did the same.

"The rooms, babe," Brian said, glancing at my mother. "It's time to head back."

"So soon?" My mother frowned and sat on the loveseat opposite the couch. "I feel like you three just got here."

I sighed. When my mother said it, I felt the same—we just got here. At least, we just got to the point she wanted us to be, all happy and sitting in the living room, cup of coffee in our hands. To leave so soon...

Straightening in my spot on the couch, I shot her my biggest smile. "We'll come back," I said. It was enough to make Brian blink and smile at me. Enough that Jun stopped right behind the couch, hands stopping mid-air as he fixed the collar of his sweater.

Their reaction made me laugh. I leaned forward and placed my coffee cup on the table. "What?" I blinked up at the two of them. "Did I say something?"

"I just didn't think you'd want to come back so soon," Brian said quietly before shooting my mother an apologetic smile. "I also didn't mean anything by that, Mrs. Ruiz. It's just—"

"This town can leave a sour taste in your mouth, I know." With her mug to her lips, my mother leaned back against the loveseat and smiled at us while sipping her coffee. "Sometimes you need to get away."