The Earring

"Triplets... " Ian mumbled next to me.

We were currently walking through town looking for the triplets. I had no idea where to start and was at a complete loss, so instead, I just walked behind Ian while playing with the new clothes he got me. They were silky and thin, just like Ian's and Logan's sheets.

The way the beating sun shone down on the shiny fabric and gave it this angel-like glow and I loved it. But it felt weird... wearing expensive clothes like this... after years and years of being poor and wearing the same thing every day and maybe once 3 times a year if I got to lucky, was able to wash it.

I sighed, a mix of uneasiness and content. The only thing that snapped me out of my thoughts was Ian whipping around to face me after we walked into an empty alley.

"I have an idea," He paused a sat patiently and waited for him to continue. "So I realized they might've all went to the same place. And being so young I doubt they really panned this out, so the girl I was after ran west. Do you know which way yours did?"

Shit. No, I didn't. I looked at him like a goldfish with my mouth hanging open. I looked down at the ground and began to think with a map paced out in my head. I remember all the streets I ran through.

"Lemme guess, you don't remember-"

"SHHHH! I'm thinking, you prune!"

Okay... so I ran around this road and turned onto this one. I ran onto that road from the east so that means she ran...

"Yeah... Mine ran west too."

Ian nodded in response and faced west before turning back to me. "So we can assume the third went the same way... hey, what is on the west side of the city? Bri."

I looked up at him and thought for a second. I've never really been over there. It's more of the upper-class side so going over there only ensured my arrest. And it's pretty dark over there since the palace cast a shadow over that part for 90% of the day.

"It's a rich side, it a little dark over there due to the constant shadow cast by the palace."

He looked confused. "Why would the rich choose to live on the dark side?"

"Well, I think it's official that you're stupid," I answered "Becuase we live in fucking Egypt were hot sandy dunes live their best. And because most of the nobles that live in Egypt are Vampiric... now that I think about it, the hooded figures might've possed some triplets..."

"I never understood that. Why in the hell would a Vampiric think its a good idea to live a desert? Especially Egypt."

"Well, Egypt is thriving at the moment. Doing better than Babylon too. So if you want money your gonna have to take the risk."

Ian shrugged off my response and beckoned me to start following towards the palace. "Wait, why are we going back to the palace?" I aksed jogging to catch up with him.

"Yep, the suns going down and we are trying to find three little vampires in a large part of town at night. Nah, ima pass."

"We'll never find your earring with that type of attitude..." I mumbled. When Ian didn't respond I glanced up at him. His eyebrows were furrowed, he had a frown on his face, and his eyes were darting around. Anywhere but me. "You good?" I asked he just simply nodded while closing his eyes and letting out an inaudible sigh.

We eventually got back to the palace and Ian hadn't spoken a word. Whenever I asked him something he would just nod and hum a response. I didn't really think about it because I know he goes really quiet when he's thinking. But it was still off-putting. Ian went to his room while I went to the back garden to wash the little bit of sand that got caught on my arms and face.

~~~

I sighed and combed my hair back, frustrated. Brianna went to go wash off meanwhile I just paced around the room. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up. Not forever that's for sure.

I snapped out of my thoughts when I heard my door open. I thought it was Brianna when I saw blonde hair but was disappointed when Logan appeared.

"What do-"

"Now, now, before you kick me out. I just wanted to say I have something for you," He paused while fishing something out of his pocket and my worst nightmare just came true. "I figured out why you wouldn't let Brianna go. So I found it for you. Anything for a friend right?"

And there is was. The Earring. The dark blue gem hanging from the dark gold chain. My eyes widened and I felt myself starting to sweat. I blinked a few times and reclaimed my cool.

"You hired the hooded figures, didn't you?" I asked quietly and he nodded happily and tossed me the earring.

"Now I believe to keep your end of the deal your going to have to let Brianna go, yes? And you can't leave the palace anymore right?" He paused with all too happy smile while I just glared at him and the earring laying in my hand.

"You know Ian... You are rather selfish. To guilt trip a girl just trying to help her family to stay here with you for an earring you really don't care about, all so you can just leave to palace. Rather rude too." He was enjoying himself I can tell. My hand holding the earring started to shake from me holding the earring so tightly.

This son of a bitch got me. He got me good.

"Well let's face it friend how long did you actually think you could keep it hidden? Couldn't have been long. Anyway, Brianna is probably on her way back up, I'll let you deliver the news."

My day only got worse when as soon as Logan was leaving he walked past Carla as she walked in. She ran out me and out of reflex I dropped the earring and held her back.

"We need to talk, Ian..."