The Calm Before The Storm

Tatsumi was out and about early the next morning. Esdeath had somethings to take care of according to the small note he found when he awoke. 

[Note]

I have some urgent business to attend. Night Raid is on the move again and I still owe them for what they did to you, so I must leave you this morning. Don't go getting into trouble while I am not around. I will come for you later this evening. 

P.S. If any news of that pitiful display I showed you last night even remotely leaves your mouth, you'll be wearing a collar around that handsome neck of yours, my love. 

Yours Alone, 

Esdeath

[End Note]

He shivered thinking about how threatening she could be even in a simple not. However, he never planned to expose her soft side to anyone. He wanted that  for himself. 

What has this woman done to me? He thought to himself as he chuckled lightly. 

He won't deny that he hasn't forgiven her for the things she has done. Nor will he ever forget them but the woman he saw last night was someone different. Someone he had come to fall in love with. She was always persistent and she finally has him.  

He walked into the store he had been eyeing for a while. He saw it the first time he went into the city when he first met the Night Raid assassin; Mein. He walked in and the clerk immediately provided a friendly smile. 

"Hello Sir, How can I help you?" He asked.

Tatsumi smiled at the items in front of him, taking his time to look over each one thoroughly before reaching a conclusion. 

Some time later after haggling, he walked out of the store and back onto the streets. He started walking towards the same restaurant where he talked to Mein about killing General Marcus. He had 48 hours to put his plan into motion. Esdeath was the final piece to his puzzle. It was true that she had been apart of his plan to avenge his friends, his village, and quite honestly his sanity all along. Falling in love with her was just a perk. Now that she would join him, all he had to do was get Night Raid to attack when he needed them to. He needed a distraction. They wanted to attack the Empire. Win-Win.

He never really agreed with how Night Raid did things. Although those politicians that they murdered are definitely corrupt, they still deserved a fair trail. As Esdeath had said. He walked into the restaurant and sat at the same booth he had before, his hand tightening around the item he had purchased. Soon a hooded figure approached him and sat down with him. The hooded figure spoke.

"Was the mission successful?" The figure asked.

"General Marcus is dead and Great General Budo is off on his mission for the next three days." Tatsumi whispered. 

Tatsumi had made sure to keep up with all of the orders that went in and out of the Throne Room. He had planned to wait until Great General Budo went on his overseas mission that Esdeath had told him about, to make his move. He knew that Night Raid would find out and attack the Capital then. According to the soldiers within the Empire, that was what they wanted. It was all some elaborate plan to ambush them. He really didn't care. All he needed was the distraction. 

"Now is the perfect time for an attack. Go tell your boss that if you do not strike in the next three days, all is lost." He stood before the figure could reply and walked out of the restaurant. 

He had one more thing to take care of before the war had really began. He went back to the Capital and the sun had gone down a little. He had spent most of his time on the street, finding and marking all the alley ways. He went to the medical wing where yet again his second in command was at. It had been awhile since he's seen her and the solider he had saved. 

"Rebecca." He called, walking into her room. 

She turned around at her name being called.

"Captain..." She had whispered it silently. It was pained and sorrowful.

He saw her getting up, bandages around her head. She had recovered nicely from the last time he saw her. There were small signs of  General Marcus's hands around her neck still from when he held her by the neck on the ship. He winced inwardly and walked toward her.

She had been in the medic center a second time because of him, he was too weak to protect her. Both times he had put her in danger and both times she had ended up here. He had to make it up to her somehow.

"I'm so sorry...this happened because I was too weak to protect my soldiers." He told her rubbing her cheek intimately. He didn't show it to her as a sign of affection or love like he did when he was with Esdeath. He did it out guilt. 

Rebecca froze for only a minute then relaxed into his touch.

"Captain, don't blame yourself. I came with you because I wanted to. I wasn't strong enough to protect myself." She told him honestly.

He smiled and looked her in her eyes. She blushed lightly. She had heard the buzz going around in the Empire about some sort of "final battle" going down soon and she knew that it could be her last chance to tell her Captain how she felt. 

I know he is with the General but...who knows what will happen on the battlefield! She swallowed hard and began to speak.

"C-Captain...I! I!" 

Before she could say anything more, the room dropped to a deadly temperature.  Tatsumi smiled to himself. Knowing exactly not what, but who  had made the temperature drop so low. 

"You know..." He started, removing his hand from her cheek and looked at the door.

"You are quite cute when you are jealous my love."

 He looked at her. He stared right into her blue eyes. She stared hard at him. He was touching another woman. That was unacceptable. She was on him in an instant and took his lips, claiming him in front of her. She looked directly at his second in command. She expected her to back down and shy away but she...didn't. 

Interesting...

She had stared right back at Esdeath, fire in her eyes. It was rare for someone to stand up to her. Esdeath was sadden that she didn't have time to play with her, for the final battle would come soon. Tatsumi began to tap on her shoulder as she ran out of air. Esdeath focused back on her man and released him.

"Oh. Sorry my love. It's time for us to go Tatsumi, we have one more day until you supposed tall tale is to come true." She told him turning around and walking out the door again. 

He gave Rebecca a sympathetic smile and walked to catch up with Esdeath. 

"You didn't have to get that jealous..." He told her before he grabbed her hand and he interlocked his fingers with hers. 

"You know I love you and only you Es." He finished.

She blushed lightly. She was losing herself in him but she knew the bloodshed that would happen tomorrow would bring her back to her normal self.

ONLY ONE MORE CHAPTER LEFT!!!