On Your Left

STEVE'S POV

It was around five in the morning, Sam and I were getting ready for our usual morning run when Via appeared out of the elevator.

"I'm bboorreedd." Via whisper-whined. I shook my head and Sam chuckled.

"Maybe you should go back to sleep." Sam suggested with a smirk.

"No, no I don't think I will." Via said with another smirk.

"Nightmare?" I questioned. Via nodded in confirmation. Sam looked to be in thought.

"We were just about to head out on a run. Why don't you join us?" She nodded and went to get changed. She came back out in a sports tank top and soccer shorts. The three of us walked into the elevator and out the tower, heading for the nearest park. We arrived at roughly 5:30 and simply began running laps around the lake. I sped up and continuously passed them, saying 'On your left' each time I did. I could Sam getting frustrated and Via looking extremely confused. As I was about to pass the two for what seemed like the 50th time, I overheard Sam explaining to my daughter what the meaning behind 'On your left' was.

"Back when I first met your pops, we were running laps around the Lincoln Memorial. Every single damn time he would pass me, he would say those three damn words. Every time. After possibly the third or fourth time of saying it I sped up, trying to catch up to him and get him back. I ran out of breathe and had to sit down. Your pops and I started talking and we've been friends ever since." Via nodded in understanding.

"On your left." I smirked as I passed them again. Via looked annoyed this time and I chuckled, thinking there was nothing she could do about it. Out of nowhere she sped up and was about to pass me when she gave me a cocky grin and said;

"On your left." And continued speeding past me with speed I didn't know she had. Via did this five more times and I was getting more and more annoyed with her. Now I knew how Sam felt, I wasn't so inclined to tease him anymore. By the time our laps were done, Sam was sitting against a tree laughing and trying to catch his breath.

"The Prankmaster prevails once more!" Via screamed and Sam began laughing his butt off once more.

"OK, you are officially coming on all runs possible kid!" Sam said once he had caught his breath. Via smirked at me and I knew I was in for a bad time. The three of us walked back to the Tower and went up to the penthouse and kitchen for breakfast. Tony looked up as we entered the kitchen.

"Where've you three been?"

"Running." Sam answered.

"I will never understand how people manage to get up so early when they can enjoy the peacefulness of sleeping in. Via I'm surprised you went with them."

"Couldn't sleep. So Sam suggested I come along."

"Nightmare?" Tony looked at her sadly as she nodded. Via has been having the same nightmare for a few weeks now. No one knows what it's about, I think she's too embarrassed to tell us. Tony pulled her into a tight hug and pressed a gentle kiss on her forehead as comfort.

"Well breakfast is almost ready, and everyone else should be up soon. Why don't you go take a shower and I'll save a special plate for ya?" Tony smiled at Via as they broke the hug. Via left for her room to have a shower to clean off the sweat as Tony re-entered the kitchen to finish breakfast. I walked in and surprise hugged him from the back and pressed a gentle kiss on his lips. I felt him smile and pull away.

"You better shower too Capsicle. We don't need two sweaty people at the kitchen table." He smirked and I chuckled and went to do as he said. As I got in the shower I thought about how great everything was right now. I had a loving family, great friends and an amazing job. Things couldn't be better.