18: the "it" baby.

Eighteen in a half hours of pain and promising happiness passed.

Bret had never left my side. Not even once.

We laid in silence with the tv on a low volume. Bret laid back in the chair beside my bed. He held our baby in his arms. I would be lying if I said my heart didn't skip beats at the sight.

I had just woken up. My whole body being sore was an understatement. I shifted onto my side, stretching my arms. Bret looked over at me, tired eyes watched me as I sat up.

"Hey, gorgeous."

"Hi." I smiled at him.

"How's our little peanut?" I gleamed.

"She's great." He smiled down at our daughter.

We were both surprised to find out we did have a daughter.

Since everyone had convinced us we were having a boy....

Bret had happily taken her in his arms the minute she was handed to him. I had gotten to hold her a couple of times. But, Bret had pretty much kept her to himself. Not that I minded, I needed A LOT of sleep.

"Is everyone still outside? Or did they leave?" I yawned, pushing my hair away from my face.

"I called my mom and dad, they are on their way down. Tom and Celeste are outside but everyone else when home. They might be coming by soon." He murmured, moving his chair closer to my bed.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, looking up at me.

"Tired, but happy. I'm so happy." I smiled as I looked down at our little girl.

"Does anyone know?" I grinned.

"Nope. I haven't been out since you had her. Last time I went out there was an hour before peanut was introduced." He mused, smiling down at her.

"Want to go and get them while I hold her?" I asked, leaning my chin on his shoulder.

"Yeah, I better before Tom kills someone." He chuckled, standing up slowly.

I watched Bret move around to hand our daughter to me. He looked funny with a tiny baby in his arms. But my heart skipped beats as he pressed a kiss to her forehead before gently handing her to me.

Taking my daughter in my arms, I smiled, adjusting her head against my arm.

"Wow. She has your lips." I said quietly.

"And hair color." Bret mused proudly.

"And your cheeks." I smirked.

"What's wrong with my cheeks?" He raised his brow playfully.

"Nothing, they're just prominent. Mine are fat." I shrugged.

"Your cheeks aren't fat, shut up." Bret rolled his eyes.

"Make me." I challenged him.

Bret leaned down, kissing me softly. I kissed back, smiling as he pulled away.

"Keep her safe and warm." He said as he headed towards the door.

Rolling my eyes, I giggled under my breath. "Aye, aye captain." I mused. Bret scoffed and walked out the door.

I sighed in content, looking down at my sleeping daughter as she moved. She opened her eyes for a second. Her dark blue eyes moved around, taking in her surrounding before closing her eyes and going right back to sleep.

"Oh my god!" I heard Celeste's excited quiet voice as she entered the room.

"Hey, sis."

"Hey, hello, hi." My younger sister smiled widely.