Chapter Eight - The Kiss

Mia waited for Jeremiah inside of her car. She watched him talk to a girl as the other kids passed through. The girl was pretty. She was always quiet in Mia's class. She had pretty brown skin, long, pretty hair. She wore glasses. Jeremiah was a bit taller than her, not much.

    Jeremiah smiled like he had won the lottery as he walked to the car. It was so obvious that they both liked each other.

   "Hey Ms. Carter." he said joyfully as he entered the car.

   "Well, hello Jeremiah. How was your day?"

   "It was good." he smiled.

   "You like Olivia huh?"

    "Yes, I really do like her. A lot."

     Mia laughed at the way Jeremiah blushed. It was too cute. "I think you should ask her out."

    "I think I'll do that." he nodded his head, rubbing his hands together.

   He's been hanging around Jared too much.

   It was good for Mia to see Jeremiah smile. He'd been through so much. All she ever wanted was for him to be happy. She knew that hurt that he felt wasn't gone but she tried making it easier for him to deal with. She couldn't imagine losing Latoya and Jeremiah.

     By the time they made it home, Jared was already waiting for Jeremiah to go and play basketball. Of course, Mia made him do his homework first. She decided to clean up, wash clothes, and bake a cake. Then she decided to take a nap. That was until her doorbell rung...

   Mia groaned as she got up from the couch. She looked through the peephole. Davian was standing there, waiting and grinning. Shit. She whispered to herself. She looked in the mirror that hung on the wall, making sure nothing was on her face and she looked decent.

   "Hey D, what you doin' here?" Mia asked as she opened the door.

   He walked in, not answering her question. "This is nice." he looked around.

   Mia closed the door. She was so nervous. "Thanks."

   Davian sat down on the couch. "Let's do some."

    She sat down next to him. "Like what?"

    "Uh, it's karaoke night at the spot." he shrugged his shoulders.

    "I'm down." Mia laughed. "Let me change."

   She hurried to her bedroom to change clothes. She slipped on a pair of jeans, a red Nike t shirt and red converse.

   The night of graduation, Davian and Mia attended karaoke night at The Spot. They had a lot of fun. That night seemed like yesterday. Most of their senior class went and they sung the night away. Mia wish she could rewind.

 Davian and Mia rode in silence as they traveled but it was a comfortable silence. It'd been a while since they hung out, but it felt like old times.

   "Used to spend my nights out in the bar room. Liquor was the only love I've known." A white guy sung "Tennessee Whiskey" on stage.

   Mia knew the song word from word. It was one of her favorite's.

   Davian and Mia found an open table and took a seat. He requested a shot of tequila while Mia asked for water. She didn't drink during the week.

   "So, Laila, how have you been?"

   "I've been...okay. Good, actually. And you?"

   "I'm making it." he shrugged his shoulders. He licked his lips like he always does. "I had no idea planning a wedding would be so difficult."