Chapter Five - Get Over It

"Where you headed Ms. Carter?" Jeremiah asked. He sat down at the island, eating a hot pocket.

"Don't call me that outside of school, please." Mia side eyed him. "And I'm going out for a minute."

"Yooo."

We looked towards the entrance of the kitchen, hearing Jared's voice. They smelled marijuana before he even made it in. That's all he do, every day. 24/7. 365.

"What's good Jeremiah?" Jared fist bumped him. "You ready?"

One day the week before, Mia decided to take Jeremiah to meet her family. He didn't mind me telling them his situation at home. He was like family to them now. Mia's parents instantly feel in love with him. Him and Jared had been kicking it ever since.

"Yeah, where we going?" Jeremiah stood up from the counter.

"Don't worry about all'lat. Let's just ride lil' bro."

"Y'all be careful." Mia hugged both of them after grabbing her purse from the stool.

"You look good sis, where you going?" Jared asked, looking her up and down.

"Don't worry about it nosey." she playfully shoved his head.

***************

Mia and Davian decided to link up at Mama Rose's Café. A place where they always went as teenagers. It was where they had their first date. She used to love going there, with him.

"Hey, sorry I'm late." she smiled at Davian once she sat down across from him at the picnic table outside. "I had things to do."

"You good, I just got here a few minutes ago." He licked his lips, sitting up straight. "What you had going on today?"

"Running errands for my mom, you?"

He leaned against the table, locking his fingers together. "I've been at the store all day."

Mia got excited. She'd been waiting to hear how he was doing in the fashion business. "How's that going?"

"Well, you know I went to school of Art for a few years. Succeeded in that. Had my first showcase three years ago. I have one every year now. My clothing line took off when I was twenty. Which is called, Litty. I now have ten stores open, the main one is here."

"Wow, Davian, I'm so proud of you." Mia grabbed his hands. "I always prayed that you would accomplish your dreams. I'm so happy for you, you have no idea."

Mia remembered Davian telling her about his passion for art in the ninth grade. All he did was talk about his clothing line. She supported his every dream, she still did. She remembered how they used to pray about it every night over the phone. All she ever wanted was for him to succeed in life. Even after they broke up. Man...the memories.

"Thank you Mia." he stared at her. She always loved how his eyes sparkled.

"Well, I always talked about being a high school English teacher, and here I am."

Davian smiled. "Looks like we're both doing good."

Mia nodded her head, agreeing with him. Then there was silence. She became nervous all of a sudden. She found it to be the perfect time to tell him how she felt. Before she could, he spoke up.

"The real reason I invited you to lunch was not only to catch up, but to invite you to my engagement party. I met..."

Davian was still talking, but Mia completely zoned out. Her heart sunk into her stomach. Engagement party? She should've known better. A handsome, successful, gentleman like himself? Single? Uhh... I think the fuck not. How could I have actually thought I had a chance. It was obvious that he was over me. Sad part is, I'm not over him. Damn...

"You hear me?" Mia heard Davian say after she gained conscious.

"Uhh, yeah. I'd love to come." she faked a smile. "Just text me the address. I'm sorry, but right now I really have to go." she blinked the tears away.

Mia really didn't have to go. She just wanted to get away from him.

"Why so soon?" Davian stood up after Mia. "We haven't even ordered yet."

"Yeah, I know." she shrugged her shoulders. "Emergency text. I'll see you soon."

After leaving the Café, Mia just rode around. This time, she let the tears flow. She had no idea how much she was still in love with Davian until that very moment. Even though they had broke up a long time ago, she was clearly upset. She was still holding on to them. But after receiving that news, she knew it was time to let go.

Mia's phone started to ring once she stopped at a red light. It was an unknown number, but she answered anyway.

"Hello." she wiped the tears away with the back of her hand.

"Hey, this is Mia, right?"

The voice sounded familiar to her. "Yes. Who am I speaking with?"

"Lorenzo...from the club." he answered. "I saw that you weren't gonna call so I decided to call you instead."

Mia laughed. "Hey Lorenzo. I'm sorry, I've been a little busy."

"Are you busy now? I was hoping we could do something."

"Uh, no. Tell you what, meet me at the club in thirty minutes. I'll park my car there and we can decide what to do."

"See you in thirty gorgeous." The call ended.

Lorenzo called at the right time. Mia needed to get some things off her mind. There were so many thoughts running through her head. She just wanted to be around somebody. Anybody. Mia knew that she had to let Davian go. Forreal this time.

As she was pulling into the parking lot of her brother's club, she noticed Lorenzo leaning against the wall. He looked more handsome than she remembered.

"What's good gorgeous?" Lorenzo smiled as she walked towards him. He wrapped his muscular arms around her while she hugged him back.

Lorenzo's brown eyes shined brightly. His hair was freshly cut, allowing his waves to show. He had the most sweetest face. He was dressed in a pair of jeans, and a baby blue Ralph Lauren t shirt.

"Hey, Lorenzo. How you been?"

"I've been alright." he shrugged. "Been waiting on that call for too long."

Mia laughed nervously. "I'm sorry."

Lorenzo opened the passenger's door of his black Range Rover for her. He then walked over to the driver's side, climbing behind the wheel.

"So, where are we going?"

"You'll see Ms. Mia." he looked over at her. "Just relax, I got you. I wanna show you a good time."

Mmm. Okay then, Mr. Lorenzo.

Lorenzo and Mia ended up going to a museum, a jazz bar, and out to eat for dinner. Lorenzo really didn't seem like the type of guy that enjoy jazz and museums, but he surprised Mia. She truly enjoyed herself.

The entire night was overall perfect. It was the most fun Mia had in a long time. They laughed and talked the whole while. He definitely took her mind off everything. She couldn't wait to see him again.