Chapter Six - engagement party

"Dang girl, you look good." Latoya said as she watched me put on my shoes. "You trying to shut it down huh?"

Mia giggled, shaking her head. "No, it is an engagement party ya know. You're supposed to dress elegant and nice."

Mia was dressed in a strapless fitted nude dress and nude red bottom heels. Her naturally long hair flowed down her back. Matte red lipstick dressed her lips. Her accessories consisted of diamond studs, a diamond necklace, and a gold watch.

"Yeah yeah." she smacked her lips. "Davian may change his mind once he sees you. My sister you are absolutely gorgeous."

Mia blushed, staring at herself in the mirror. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Mia grabbed her keys, her clutch, and her gift from the bed.

"See you later on fatty." she kissed Latoya's cheek.

"Have fun."

Since it was near the end of Latoya's pregnancy, she'd been staying with Mia. She didn't want her sister to be alone. Her baby's father was in the Army and he'd been gone for a little over six months. Mia knew she missed him. Especially during this time of her life.

The engagement party was held at Davian's mom home. Next to Mia's mom, she was her favorite woman. Though it had been a while since they spoke, Mia still felt like that was her second mom. Always have been.

Close family and friends of the bride and groom were the only guests of the party. Mia was greeted at the door by Kaylee, Davian's little sister. She looked the same as she remembered, just taller. Brown skin and brown eyes, just like her mom. She's skinny, standing five foot eight with black, shoulder length hair.

   "Oh my gosh, hey Mia

"Oh my gosh, hey Mia." she hugged her, tight.

Mia kissed her cheek. "Hey pretty girl. How old are you now? You're so grown up."

"Seventeen." she said before grabbing Mia's hand. "Come on, let's go and find mom She's going to be so happy to see you."

Kaylee led Mia to the kitchen, where she knew Debra would be. When she would cone over with Davian, she always had them a plate full of food ready. She cooked every single day. Mia saw that nothing had changed. Debra loves to cook and be in the kitchen.

"Ma, look who's here." Kaylee said excitedly.

Ms. Debra turned around, her eyes glistened once she seen Mia. She knew then that she was happy to see her. The feeling was mutual.

"Oh my goodness, hey my baby." she wrapped her around Mia, hugging her tight. "It's sso good to see you. You look so beautiful."

"So do you ma." Mia kissed her cheek before releasing her.