Chapter Four - We Meet Again

"Jeremiah, shut yo' dirty self up. Look like you ain't took a bath in weeks."  Andre bullied Jeremiah while his friends laughed.

    Jeremiah stood up. "You wanna fight about it?"

   "Andre, I dare you to mumble another word!" Mia yelled at him. "Jeremiah...let me speak to you outside."

    He followed Mia outside of the classroom. Over the past few months, she noticed that Jeremiah was more quiet than usual. He seemed stressed and sad, but still managed to make good grades.

   "What's going on Jeremiah?" I stared at him. "You haven't been yourself lately."

   Jeremiah stands about six foot with brown eyes, and looked as if he was mixed. He was braces and a head full of curly hair.

   "Don't wanna talk about it Ms

   "Don't wanna talk about it Ms. Carter." Jeremiah sighed.

   "well, I'm taking you home after school so I can talk to your mom."

   Jeremiah was about to speak again but decided against it. Moments after they re entered the classroom, the last bell rung. After Mia collected her belongings, she left with Jeremiah trialing behind. He typed his address into the GPS which led Mia to an apartment building.

   She followed behind Jeremiah into the building. It was plain and simple. There was barely furniture and a few pictures hung on the wall. Stains covered the tan carpet in the living room. It smell like liquor and drugs.

    "Ma!" Jeremiah yelled, getting his mother's attention.

    She was sitting at the kitchen table, staring off into space. She was dressed in a dingy t shirt and gray sweat pants. Her short hair was scattered all over her head. She turned towards them, eyes blood shot red. Mia could tell that under her dirty caramel skin, she was pretty.

     "Jeremiah, who the fuck you got in my house?" she asked angrily, looking at Mia.

   Mia wasn't phased, not one bit. "I'm Ms. Carter, his English teacher. I came to talk to you about Jeremiah. Now I see why he's been so depressed. Is that how you want your child to live? You want him to see you like this?"

    "Bitch, get the hell out of my house!" she yelled, pointing towards the door. "And take him with you since you care so damn much."

    Jeremiah shook his head, walking out of the door. Mia hurried behind him.

   "Ms. Carter, I don't have to..."

   She cut him off. "No, Jeremiah, I want you to stay with me." she rubbed his back. "Let's go."

   ***********************************************************

    Before going home, taking a shower, and changing, Mia stopped by the mall to get Jeremiah a few outfits, some more school clothes, and a new pair of shoes. Then she stopped by the barbershop to get him a haircut. Mia was also the assistant coach of the girl's basketball team. She had to rush to get back to the school to make sure they were ready.