10 ~ matchmaker

NICK GRIPPED THE MUG OF HERBAL TEA I  HANDED WITHOUT ANY EYE CONTACT BECAUSE HE WAS GLUED TO HIS PHONE SINCE HE CAME HERE

He was texting with the same disgustingly goofy grin plastered on his face since he plopped down on my couch, and he shamelessly wasted my time babysitting him when he apparently flirted with his girl. Honestly, if he weren't here, I would be lying on my couch and binge-watching a new show on Netflix, but he didn't need to know this tiny detail.

I slurped my tea with an exaggerated sound to catch his attention, seated across from him, and my scream for attention worked only a few minutes later, as though we were in different time zones. His eyebrows furrowed as he finally rose his gaze from his phone screen.

"Didn't your mother teach you manners?" I asked.

"Well, I could ask you the same." He rolled his eyes, shifting his position. When he was about to grab his cell again, I blurted out the first question on my mind to take his mind off that device. "Who are you texting?"

"Sarah."

"Then, why are you here?" Max howled beside me so I stroked his head.

"I came to see you."

I snorted. "Do you see the irony?"

Nick took a sip from his mug. "She asks me to find a date for Kara." I almost choked out. Almost. Nick's gaze wasn't on me, luckily, he was scrolling through his chat. "I can't think of anyone appropriate."

I wondered something else. "Did Kara ask Sarah to find her a date?"

"I don't know," he replied. "Do you have any recs?" I didn't know anyone that could handle that woman. "Oh, shit. I found someone." His eyes shot up at me with a victory. "Derek."

"No way."

"Why not?" He protested. "I think if someone can crack the shell of that woman, it's him. He's funny and flirtatious—but he's also intellectual. He can talk about anything." I couldn't think of Kara in a dating concept. I didn't even know what type of guys she would go for. Why did I care? It would be interesting to see her maintain conversations like us humans.

Derek, on the other hand, was a social butterfly like Nick described. Plus, he was Korean, too.

"Maybe you're right," I said, changing my mind. "Derek is a good candidate."

Satisfied by my answer, Nick winked at me. "I'm sending his pic to Sarah and if she approves, I'll text him." I enjoyed the rest of my herbal tea as he buried himself back to his phone. "It's a blind date," he said. I remained my gaze on the last bit of green liquid inside the cup. I wonder how she would react to Derek. "Sarah approves. I'm texting him."

"Where will they meet?" I blurted out, my curiosity getting better of me.

"I don't know. God, what should I even say to Derek? We aren't that close." I glanced up at him when he kicked my leg. "But."