Chapter 55: 24 Hours

The Next Day

Miss Trina and I sat quietly in the room patiently waiting for a doctor to come in we were worried sick especially me. I've been up all night watching and hoping that my wife would wake up. Although this has to be the worst thing that is happening to me right now. I get to see and hold my new-borns. I can already tell that Cloe will be a daddy's girl .She grips on me tightly when I hold her and as for Chance and Carmelo I can sense that both of them will be bad. I tried to think positive but it was so hard then I started to feel guilty. There was a knock on the door and I opened it, in walked three doctors will a look of unsureness on their faces.

“Mr. August? I heard one of them call my name.

“Yes”

“I am Doctor Niles and I will be making sure that your wife wakes up from her coma and recovers tremendously” he smiled shaking my hand. Although he was telling me what I wanted to hear it still wasn’t enough I needed to know now?

“What's going? I asked.

“Well we finally figured out what's going on with your wife” One of the doctors stated I nodded my head so they could continue.

“She has postpartum preeclampsia which is a rare condition that occurs when a woman has high blood pressure and excess protein in her urine soon after childbirth. Postpartum preeclampsia is most dangerous to the mother within the first 48 hours after giving birth. It can result in multiple organ failure, infections and issues with bloodclotting. If left untreated, it can also cause seizures and even send the mother into a coma, when it becomes eclampsia.

“So is she going to be okay how will she get treated? I asked

“As of now we're working our best to get her blood pressure down after that she may wake up but  most comas don't last more than two to 4 weeks. Recovery is usually gradual, with patients becoming more and more aware over time” he explained

“Okay but you're still not answering my question don’t sugar coat anything just tell me what the hell is going on with my wife” I shouted.

“Honey just calm down please it will be alright” Miss Trina said rubbing my shoulder

“Mr. August we will insure that we will have Mrs. Cori under our hands, all we can do now is wait for her to wake up but you can always help.” Dr. Niles stated.

“And what is that?

Although nobody knows for sure, it is possible that patients in coma can respond to the presence of loved ones at the bedside. A familiar voice or touch may have a calming or reassuring effect on the patient, and certainly can't hurt. We encourage as much bedside contact between the patient and family members as is possible, as long as it does not interfere with medical care” he smiled.

There was an awkward pause and I gave Cloe over to her grandmother. “I need a walk” I said leaving the room. I was two seconds from clocking the doctor in the face and throwing everything around in this damn room. I did that 3 years ago when my grandma died and I almost got charged for hospital fees. The person that always helps me calm down is in the hospital bed unconscious. I have no one, I needed some sleep but I refused to I couldn’t live with myself if Cori woke up for just a second and I lost my opportunity. I walked to the star bucks downstairs to get something and I felt someone bump me.

“YO WATCH WHERE YOU GOING MAN” I shouted.

“SORRY GEESHHHH” he said walking away. I sat down at the table and placed my hands through my hair. I was going crazy without my girl and it’s only been 24 hours.

“Yo Chres” I heard someone call my name and when I looked up it was my ex best friend Marc.

“Wassup” I said dapping him up.

“Long time no see man how are you doing? He asked sitting beside me, Marc looks so different he cut off his dreads and all of sudden he's team tatted.

“Man don't even ask I'm going through hell right now” I sighed.

“Well I know we left off on bad terms and everything and I truly apologize for that day but I'm here to listen if you need me my mom is in the hospital so I know the feeling” he said

“Thanks man I appreciate it how's moms doing? I asked.

“She had a seizure so she's just recovering right now, how bout you why are you here”? He asked.

“My wife just delivered triplets last night and now she's in a coma” I sighed.

“Wow man I'm sorry to hear that what's her name? He asked. And I totally forgot that he was the main reason why Cori and I broke up in the first place. But I don’t hold grudges anymore.

“I'm still with Cori” I smiled.

“For real oh my god man I knew there was no breaking ya'll even though I take full responsibility for that day I am so happy that she has your children” he said.

“Yeah me too but she's not waking up and I'm scared she won’t wake up either” I whined trying to hold in my tears. “Man here's my number if you ever need someone to talk to Imma be there and I pray for ya'll man Cori has always been a soldier so I know she's gonna pull through you just gotta keep the faith” he said pulling me into a hug.

“Thanks Marc I needed that” I said hugging him. He eventually left and I walked back into the room I saw Cori look even more pale and I broke down. “What have I done” I cried. Miss Trina pulled me into a hug “It's okay son” she said rubbing my back.

“I can't live without her man I lost her once I can’t do it again man I knew we shouldn’t of had these kids if she didn’t become pregnant she would be up right now. I knew it was a high risk pregnancy but I still went with it. She told me she didn’t even want kids but I wanted them and because she loved me she made sure that I would become a dad one day and now because of my selfish ways she may not make it” I cried even harder.

“You're speaking non-sense now Chres those children are a blessing she wanted children just as bad as you even more so don't blame them they're already here now. My baby is going to make so stop thinking negative okay she's gonna wake up” she sobbed.

“GOD, WHYYY please don’t take my only child away from me” she cried.

:(

At least Marc and Chres may be cool again

Wake Up Cori Nicole Andrea August