Chapter 29

Carson's POV

For the entire night, I didn't sleep. After Jasmine left to try and get in touch with her classmates to find out if they knew where Kayla was, I left my apartment and went to Micheal's. I told him what I thought had happened to Kayla and with Jayden and Jordan joining us, we drove around for about an hour to see if she was on the streets. Eli had suggested he'll help in the search so we all took different areas to drive through.

We didn't have any luck.

It didn't help that we didn't have special places to check because Kayla didn't have a regular place that she would visit. So we were just checking streets and neighbourhoods. But she wasn't anywhere to be found.

This allowed for my suspicion to grow even more; she was definitely taken.

Jasmine had called me earlier to let me know that none of her friends had seen her since she left school and they had no idea of her whereabouts. She also let me know that she had notified the police. They were doing everything they could, but she wasn't confident that they'll find her. I wasn't either and the longer Kayla is missing, the tenser I grew. I could've tracked her location by her phone but her phone was off and communication was difficult. It only showed her last location when her phone was on and that was in the vicinity of the bus stop.

Now, I was home again and even then I still couldn't sleep. There's no way I'll be able to sleep if Kayla was in trouble. All I kept thinking about was her being somewhere alone and scared. The thought of that ripped at my heart. I wish I knew where she was. I need to figure it out fast before Oliver does something to her as I know is his intention. I felt anger rising in me at the thought of Oliver laying a hand on her. He has really done it this time and he has achieved his goal, but he'll be really sorry if he brings harm to Kayla. I was sure of that.

••••••

The next day, after a restless night, I started on my search again. Even though I had daylight on my side this time, I still had no luck. I checked out all the places where Oliver would frequent, but he wasn't at any of those places.

My friends and I met up at Larry's bar. When we got there Larry informed us that he hasn't seen Oliver since Wednesday. I found that weird because he has never stayed away for too long. Whenever I don't want to see him, he always shows up. It was obvious he was planning this for a long time. It didn't matter that I was staying away from Kayla to keep him off track. He was no fool and he saw through that. He already knew what she meant to me.

I sat down on a stool at the counter and took a deep frustrated sigh. All this is probably my fault. If I hadn't suggested we take a break, this wouldn't have happened. Kayla wouldn't have been alone. I would've picked her up from school like I always do and we would go back to my apartment together. She would be with me right now, safe in my arms, instead of being with that psycho. I can't help but feel like I've failed her again.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I looked up at Jordan who was sitting beside me. "We are going to find her, man. We aren't going to give up."

I shook my head. "This is all my fault."

"No, it isn't." Jayden intervened. "It's obvious Oliver has been watching Kayla and has been planning this. It doesn't matter if you were with Kayla or not. You can't blame yourself."

I nodded my head in agreement. They were right and what matters now anyways is to find that lunatic before he hurts Kayla. As I was contemplating my next move, my phone vibrated in my pocket and I reached for it quickly hoping it was Kayla. It wasn't, I noted as I looked at the caller ID. It was an unknown number.

I answered and put the phone to my ear. "Hello."

"Hello, Carson." A very familiar voice came out from the other end. "How's it going? Missing anything?"