Chapter 7

"So, how would you tell what blood group this is?" Travis asked, looking at what I was doing intently.

Travis had told me that he hasn't reached this far at his previous college and he wasn't here as yet when Mrs. Harriot had done it with us. So, he had asked me to explain it to him.

I indicated the three test tubes that were placed on the table as I spoke. "In this test tube, there is an anti-A antibody, in this one, anti-B and the other is a control solution. I'm going to add the blood to each." I then tip a drop of the blood into the three test tubes.

We observed each test tubes to see whether the red blood cells have agglutinated or simply settled to the bottom. Soon, we noticed that in the test tube containing the anti-A antibody, the blood has settled to the bottom. There was no reaction in the other two test tubes.

I turned to Travis with a look of satisfaction. "This means that this blood type is A."

"How so?" He asked.

"Because the red blood cells match with the A antigens." I pointed at the B test tube again. "If it had settled at the bottom in the test tube with B antigens, then it would have been blood type B. In both, would have been AB and neither means it's O." I explained further.

Travis looked up at me and smiled. "Wow. You're not only beautiful but smart as well."

I looked back at him with my eyebrows raised. "Thanks and as I said before, I'm not smart." Travis was still looking at me, so I look away before adding. "Let us document our observation and then we can move on to the next experiment."

"Sounds like a plan," Travis said. I retrieved my book from the far corner of the table and made a notation of my observation.

We worked for almost an hour when I finally closed my book and stood up from the stool. "Well, that's it for today. I've got to go now. We have class in fifteen minutes."

"Alright," Travis said as he packed away his things as well. "Thanks for the help and I'm really glad that you are my lab partner."

I placed my bag around my shoulder before I looked at him. "No problem, Travis." I then took up the thick textbooks that couldn't hold in my bag and turned to walk away. "Bye," I called over my shoulder as I left the room and head to my class.

••••••

At my last class of the day, I exited the lecture hall exhausted. I was up early this morning preparing for a presentation and now I was experiencing the result of that.

I was halfway across the campus when I remembered that I had a study session in half an hour with my study buddies. I stopped in my tracks and took out my phone. I texted in the group conversation that we created for studying and informed them that I would not stop to study this evening. I just wanted to head for my dorm room as I was completely drained. Their reply was instant and they all agreed. They were all tired as well.

I put my phone back in my pants pockets and began my journey to my dorm room.

"Hey, Kayla. Wait up." I heard behind me. I stopped in my tracks once again and turned around. I watched as Travis jogged to catch up to me.

"What's up, Travis?" I asked when he stood in front of me.

"You left the classroom so quickly. I wanted to know if we are going to continue working on our labs today?" Travis said.

"I can't today. I'm completely burnt out. I was just heading to my dorm room." I replied with a tired smile. "We can pick up tomorrow, okay?"

He nodded his head in understanding. "Sure, that's no problem. Would you like me to walk you to your dorm room?"

I shook my head. "That won't be necessary. The dorm rooms are just right across campus. I'll be fine."

"Okay great. I'll see you tomorrow then." He said.

"Sure. Tomorrow." I assured as I turned to walk away, continuing my journey to my dorm room.

When I got to my room, I put down my bag and books on a chair in the room. I then left the room again and went straight to the bathroom to have a shower. When I came back, Jasmine was in the room, sitting on her bed, typing away on her laptop. I walked over to my bed and plopped face down on my pillow. I sighed in contentment as I closed my eyes.

"What up with you?" I heard Jasmine asked.

I half opened my eyes and looked over at her. "I'm tired." Was my only reply.

"You must be. You were up at two this morning." Jasmine admonished.

"Hmhmm," I mumbled in agreement as my eyes fluttered close again. I heard Jasmine chuckled and I was just about to drift off to sleep when my phone buzzed indicating that I got a message. I stretched for my phone and opened it to see a message from Carson.

Carson: Hi my darling. I hope you had a great day today :)

A smile appeared on my face before I send a reply.

Kayla: Hi. My day was great. I'm just tired. How was your first day back?

Carson's reply was instant.

Carson: I couldn't wait for it to be over. I'm actually leaving school now. Rest well and don't think about me too much ;)

Kayla: Haha...don't worry I won't :)

Carson: You know you will ;)

My phone buzzed again as he sent a next text after that one.

Carson: 😘😘

I smile at Carson's text before I locked my phone and rest it on the table by my bed. Within a few minutes, I was asleep.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
AN: Hello...it's me 😁

I hope you enjoyed it! 😊

Don't forget to vote!

The next chapter will be up soon 📝

Stay unique!

Alecia