Chapter 18

I felt numb.

The chatter of the nurses and the doctors as they pass by me was distanced. The familiar beeping of hospital equipment, the ringing of telephones and the monotonous voices on intercoms were all drowned out. The scene around me was in slow motion and everything and everyone was a blur. All I could focus on and think about right now was Carson.

The beating...

The blood...

The fast movements of the paramedics as they tried to keep him stable...

His lifeless body...

I closed my eyes tight as my hands, my feet; my entire body started to tremble again. I wrapped my arms around my body as I began to feel cold.

"Are you alright?" Jasmine, who was sitting beside me asked. I didn't turn to look at her, but I could sense the concern in her voice. I nodded my head mechanically as I know I wasn't able to speak. Jasmine wrapped her arm around me and gave me a comforting hug. "Don't worry. Carson will be okay." I nodded my head again. I hope she was right.

I've been at the hospital for an hour and a half now and I haven't heard any news on how Carson was doing. The only information I got was when they told me that they were running some tests. I didn't know what to think and I couldn't help but think the worst. When I got to the hospital, I called Jasmine and she was here in fifteen minutes. I was glad she was here or else I would've broken down by now.

I called Carson's friends as well and they were here a few minutes ago, but they left in an angry fit saying how Oliver was going to regret what he did. I tried to stop them, but they were adamant. I've never seen them so angry before.

I was pulled from my thoughts and trance-like state by the sound of my name. I looked in the direction of the elevator and saw Marilyn and Marcus Knight walking towards me. I had called them as soon as I reached the hospital, but I hadn't expected them to reach this quickly.

I stood up as soon as Marilyn reached near me and she instantly pulled me into a hug. "Oh Marilyn," I mumbled as the rush of emotions hit me and I started crying again. "I'm so sorry." I choked out through my sobs.

Marilyn rubbed soothing circles on my back and whispered comforting words to try and calm me down. "Shh, honey. Everything is going to be okay." She kept repeating. When I calmed down a bit, she pulled back and looked at me. I saw that her eyes were damp with tears as well. "Where's Carson? How is he?"

"I don't know. They admitted him as soon as we got here." I respond.

I turned my attention to Mr. Knight who I just noticed standing beside his wife. "They haven't updated you since then?" He asked me.

I shook my head. "No, not on his condition. They told me they were ordering some tests, but that was an hour ago."

"Kayla, what happened?" Marilyn asked quietly.

The event of the night floods my mind again. "He was attacked by a group of guys. They beat him bad. It was bad, there was blood everywhere...he looks really bad." I choked out as the horrific images resurfaced in my mind.

Marilyn took my hands in hers and lead us to sit down. She wrapped her hand around my shoulder and rests her head on mine. "Just relax, honey. We'll get some information soon." I closed my eyes and let her comforting words washed over me. It helped because I was starting to feel better.

Marilyn turned her head from me to look at her husband. "Shouldn't we have gotten an update by now? It has been a long time."

Mr. Knight nodded his head. "I'll speak to someone because we damn well should've been." As he said that, he turned away and walked over to the front desk, a short distance from where we sat. The lady sitting behind the desk looked at him as he walked up. "Is there any news on Carson Knight?" He asked sturdily.

The lady checked her computer for a few seconds before responding. "It says here that he's in trauma room three."

"This is insane. Someone should've updated us on what's going on. I need someone with information on my son." He demanded in his usual commanding tone.

The lady nodded politely. "Okay, sir. Give me a minute, please." She replied as she took up the telephone beside her. Mr. Knight nodded his head before turning away to walk back to us. He didn't sit down, he just began to pace the floor.

Three minutes later, we saw a female surgeon walking towards us. Marilyn stands up as she approached. "How is my son? Is he alright?"

"I apologize for the delay in information. Your son is currently in the trauma room." The doctor informed. "His injuries were insufficient so he'll be just fine. In the beginning, he was having trouble breathing so we had to intubate him. The tube is out now and he's breathing on his own. He was also bleeding internally, but it was minor and will heal on its own. Otherwise from that, he has a broken nose and suffered a mild concussion. His CT scan and X-Ray came back clear, so he's going to be okay. He will be taken to the recovery room soon, so we can observe him."

Marilyn clasped her hand together. "Oh, God! Thank you so much! Can we see him after?"

The doctor smiled. "Sure, you can. He'll have a lot of physical bruises, however, so you'll have to prepare yourselves. I'll let you know when he's in recovery."

Marilyn nodded her head. "Thank you." The doctor turned back in the direction she came from and Marilyn sat beside me again. I hadn't gotten up because I was afraid that my legs would've failed me. I really didn't feel like myself. I feel like I was in someone else's body.

Marilyn took my hand in hers again and then frowned. "Honey, you're still shivering." She said worriedly. "You're still in shock. You need to drink something."

Jasmine, who was still beside me stands up. "I'll go downstairs to the cafeteria and get her some tea." She offered.

Marilyn nodded her head. "Thanks, Jasmine. That will be good." Jasmine nodded her head before turning in the direction of the elevator.

••••••

Half an hour later, my jangled nerves were back to normal and I wasn't trembling anymore.

Marilyn, who was still sitting beside me, turned to face me. "How are you feeling, dear?"

I tried for a smile. I didn't want her worrying about me. "I'm feeling much better. Thank you."

She smiled warmly. "That's good." She put her arms around me in a side hug.

I turned my attention towards the hallway as I spotted Michael, Jayden and Jordan walking towards us. I wanted to ask them if they found Oliver and what happened but I didn't want to bring it up in front of Carson's parents.

As soon as they reached up to us, the same doctor who had updated us about Carson before appeared once again. She looked at Carson's parents as she spoke. "Your son is in recovery and he's awake. You can see him now, but only a few of you at a time. Follow me please."

Marilyn nodded her head while standing up. "Thank you." She then looked at me, Jasmine and Carson's friends. "Marcus and I will go and see him first and then you guys can go ahead. Okay?"

"Sure, okay." We all agreed and nodded our heads. She and Mr. Knight then followed the doctor to Carson's room.

I released another sigh of relief. I was just glad that Carson was going to be alright.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Author's Note: Hey!

Another update for you all. Please remember to show your love for this chapter ❤

Stay blessed 😇

Alecia