Chapter 20

Carson's POV

A week later, the next Monday, I was doing much better and I was finally ready to go back to school. Mom came by my apartment early this morning to let me know that she and Dad were leaving to go back to Chicago in three hours.

They both had stayed at an hotel for the entire week that I was recuperating. They told me that they had no intention of leaving until they were sure I was okay. Even though I told them I was feeling much better, there was no way I could talk them into leaving.

Mom has been here now for about half an hour fussing over me and repeatedly asking how I was feeling. Finally, convinced that I was alright, she took up her bag to leave. As she did so, she noticed that I was gathering my books to put into my bag so she asked. "You're going to class today?"

"Yes, I've already missed one week of classes." I answered. Even though, for the entire week, I've been getting all my class notes from one of my classmates and keeping up with my assignment right here in my apartment.

"Okay then. Have a good day." She said before embracing me in a warm hug.

When she pulled back, I said. "Mom, I'm happy you and Dad stayed here even though you really didn't have to hang around here until I got better."

"Of course I did. You may be twenty years old and grown up, but you're still my baby and I wasn't going to leave until I was sure you were better." She answered with a smile.

"I'm glad you did, Mom. Thanks." I replied.

"You don't have to thank me. It's my job to be here for you." She said. "And your father, he wasn't going to leave either. You know, he's different from how he was before."

I nodded my head and smiled. She was right. The father who I grew up with would've left to go back to work the first chance he got. "Where's Dad by the way?" I asked.

"He's at the hotel packing up our things." She answered.

"Okay, he won't see me because I have class in an hour. Please tell him goodbye for me."

"Okay, I will." She turned away from me and walked to the door.

When she reached the door, she opened it and turned to face me again. "And dear, you need to get some groceries. I checked and I noticed your cabinets and fridge are empty."

I nodded by head. "Yes Mom, I planned on getting groceries. Kayla already promised to accompany me later this afternoon."

Mom smiled. "Good. I'll call you when we reached home. I love you." As she said that, she went through the door and closed it behind her.

••••••

"Your Mother came by on Saturday to let me know that she was leaving today. As she left already?" Kayla asked as she scanned the labels of the canned beans in her hands.

"She left this morning." I answered.

"Okay," she nodded her head absently. Her attention was still focused on the items in her hands. I smiled to myself and I couldn't help myself from watching her. She normally goes into her own little zone when she is thinking about something intensely or trying to make a decision. I find it very endearing.

Finally, she turned to me and smiled before putting both cans in the shopping carts. It intrigues me the way she was very good at this. This is why it has become a norm for her to go to the supermarket with me. She always knows what to buy. For example she would pick up frozen vegetables instead of fresh or canned vegetables. If it was me, I would just pick up anything I see. Also, I love when we shop together. It makes us feel like a team.

"Is there anything else that we need?" Kayla asked me.

I checked the shopping cart and thought for while. "We don't have any pastas yet."

"Oh right. Okay then, let's go to the next aisle." Kaya said and I nodded. We head to the other aisle and to the section where the pastas were.

"Let's do something spontaneous this weekend." I suggested when we stopped.

Kayla looked at me. "Like what?"

"Have you ever rode in a hot air balloon?" I asked sharing the idea that came to my mind while I was home all week.

Kayla's eyes grow wide with interest and she smiled enthusiastically. "No, I haven't."

I shrugged and gave a small grin. "I haven't either. So, what do you think? Let's try it together on Saturday and then on Sunday let's cook together." I suggested. I always liked the idea of us cooking together. I just love the thought of us doing something that we both enjoy doing.

Kayla's smile grew wider. That smile that makes me want to do anything for her. "I would like that. Let's do it." She then took up two packets of Pasta and turned around to put them in the cart.

Just as she was doing that, someone who was coming in the opposite direction bumped into her. Two of the packets were knocked from her hands and onto the floor.

The guy who had bumped into her bend to retrieve the items and picked them up. "I'm sorry." He said as he put the items in Kayla's hand. When he looked up, his eyes lifted in recognition and then he smiled. "Oh, hi Kayla."

"Hey Travis." Kayla greeted him.

"I didnt know you shop here. Do you come here often?" He asked. I focused my eyes on his hands lingering on Kayla's for an unnecessary long time before he finally took it off. I lifted a curious eyebrow at his weird behaviour before I focused my attention on him. I regarded him trying to study him.

"On occasion. We normally shop here together." Kayla answered. At the mention of we, Travis finally noticed my presence. This whole time his eyes were soley focused on Kayla, that he didnt see me. His eyes widen for a bit when they land on me before he nodded his head in acknowledgement. I gave a short nod in return. The guy's eyes then dropped to the necklace that I always wear around my neck. The same one I gave to Kayla and I have the other half. He studied it for a millisecond and I watched as realization dawned on him.

I had noticed him once before already. The day when I came to pick up Kayla, he was there. He didn't look at me then either, so this was the first time he was really looking at me. I didn't have an idea who he was, just that he was always hanging around Kayla. There was nothing wrong with that, but there was definitely something about him that didn't sit well with me.

"Okay then, that's cool. I'll see you in class tomorrow." The guy finally said after a while.

"Yeah, bye." Kayla answered and he walked around us to head in the opposite direction, while Kayla and I continued with our shopping.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
AN: Thanks for reading! I really appreciate it 😊

Until next chapter, stay tuned and....

Stay unique!! 😋

Alecia