Chapter 25

"Hey, I didn't think you'd be back so soon," Jasmine said as I walked through our dorm room. However, my mind was elsewhere and I didn't respond to her question. Noticing this, she looked at me and frowned. "Hey, what's wrong?"

I finally looked in her direction. "Jasmine, I screwed up," I answered without hesitation, my voice sounded strained and choked up as I tried to hold back my tears.

Jasmine closed the book that she was reading and sat back on her bed. "Kayla, what happened?" She questioned concerned, giving me her full attention.

I walked over to her bed and sat down beside her. "It's over between Carson and I." I began before going into further details, telling her everything that happened at Carson's. At this point, I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. I cried as I finished relating what happened to Jasmine.

"Oh, Kayla, I'm so sorry," Jasmine said quietly trying to console me.

"I honestly don't know why I said those things. He was just trying to protect me from Oliver. He was making sense, but I was being irrational, unreasonable and refused to listen." I rested my head in my hands trying to forget the look on Carson's face. "And now....There is no way he's going to forgive me. I've hurt him. I wouldn't forgive me either."

"Don't be so hard on yourself. We've all had those days. I'm sure Carson understands that." Jasmine tried to reassure me.

I turned and stared directly at her. "I don't think so Jazz, we have never fought like this before. It was subtle, but it was bad. I've ruined the best thing that has ever happened to me." The reality of the situation fully hit me.

Jasmine gave me a side hug. "It will be okay. Just talk to him." She advised.

I nodded my head. "Okay," I said, hoping that Jasmine was right.

••••••

For the entire day, all I could think about is Carson and the breakup we had yesterday. My mind was preoccupied most of the time and because of that, it was the longest day. I was really glad when the day finally ended because I couldn't focus on anything else.

After I left my final class of the day, I went to sit on one of the benches under the trees on the campus. I took out my phone deciding to call Carson, but hesitating, my fingers hovering over his name.

What would I say? What would he say?

I sighed heavily. No more delaying, Kayla. I thought to myself as I made up my mind to call him. I needed to hear his voice and I needed to set this right.

As I was about to click on Carson's contact, a voice stopped me.

"Hey, is everything alright?" Travis, who was now sitting in front of me asked.

I shook myself from my thoughts and nodded my head. "Yes, I'm okay," I answered with as much surety as I could muster.

Travis lifted his eyebrows curiously. "Are you sure?" He questioned. He looked at the phone in my hands before adding. "Trouble in paradise?"

"Something like that," I answered vaguely, not having an interest in getting into it with anyone. Once again my thoughts were preoccupied until I heard Travis' voice again.

"Is it really worth it to be with someone who causes you this much distress? If you guys are having trouble maybe you weren't meant to be. He obviously doesn't appreciate what he has."

I turned my attention to him feeling irritation rising. "You don't know Carson or about our relationship, so you can't make a judgement about us," I replied at his remark.

He held up his hands in defence. "Hey, you're right, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. It wasn't my place." He apologised, then shocked me with his next words. "It's just that I like you and I was looking out for you. I guess my timing was wrong. It's okay, I will have better timing next time."

I furrowed my eyebrows at what he said. I don't know what wrong ideas he had, but I needed to clear up any misunderstanding before it could go any further. "Look, Travis..." I started but was interrupted by Lilly, who just walked up.

"Hey guys, I hope I'm not interrupting anything." She said.

"No, Lilly, you weren't," I said shaking my head.

"Well, isn't that good then?" She asked and sat down on the bench across from me. Her words were simple enough, but there was something about the way she said it. I narrowed my eyes at her, trying to figure out what her intention was.

Before I could read into Lilly's response further, Monica who had walked up with Lilly spoke. "Sean won't join us today. He left before our final class." She informed, then added. "By the way, he asked for us to take notes for him, but I didn't write everything. Please tell me one of you did."

"Yes, I wrote everything." I answered, reaching into my bag for my notebook.

"Of course you did." I heard Lilly retort.

I turned to face her, my eyebrows coming together in confusion. "Why did you say it like that?" I asked puzzled at her comment.

"Like what? Oh come on, we all know you're the perfect person to take notes to give Sean." She then looked at the others. "We all know it. I'm just stating how it is."

Monica, who obviously picked up on Lilly's attitude, asked puzzled. "Lilly, what is wrong with you?"

"Nothing is wrong with me. All I did was made a general comment." She shrugged as if it was nothing. She then stood up abruptly. "You know what? I just realized I can't stay." She then turned and walked away from us.

We all were quiet for a while trying to understand what just happened, until Travis finally break the silence. "What was that about?" He asked quizzically.

"I have no idea." Monica answered.

I didn't either and honestly, I had too much things on my mind right now than to deal with Lilly's moody and weird attitude. I'll have to confront her another time and ask her what's up, because something is obviously up.

"Well, in any case, the plan was to start our group assignment today, but we can't meet without Lilly and Sean." Monica continued. "We'll just assign sections of the assignment and meet together as a group another day."

"That sounds like a good idea." Travis replied and I nodded in agreement.

We sat there for about ten minutes discussing the assignment before I left for the dorms. I wanted to go to Carson's apartment and talk to him, but I remembered he had plans to go the gym with his friends today, so I know he wouldn't be home and I have no idea when he will be home.

I took my time walking to my dorm with a lot on my mind and the strain of the situation on my chest. I decided that I'm not going to call or text him and made a plan to go to Carson's apartment tomorrow after my class. It was better to do this in person.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
AN: Hey there!

Here's another chapter for you guys 🤗

Enjoy!!

Alecia ❤