Learning

Song for the chapter: Violet Evergarden- Torment

Jason lead me back through the woods, holding my waist gently.

"Now where?" I asked in a whisper, partially scared of what creature we might have to help next.

"Salem." He whispered before the setting changed instantly. My head swayed out of nowhere, dropping into Jason's arms. My vertigo only lasted for a second before my head re-calibrated itself.

We were not in the woods or anywhere near home, by Jason's words I guess we really are in Salem. The streets were quiet, barren, and still. Everyone knows of whats happened here. There's history in this land. A horrific history. The wind blew, making me shiver and hold Jason's hand tighter.

 The wind blew, making me shiver and hold Jason's hand tighter

If we're here...

I'm guessing the victims of the witch trials were actual witches...

I couldn't help the frown on my face as I thought of what happened to the victims. I hate to think what fear and ignorance will make a person do...

"There." Jason pulled me into a restaurant. Well, a bar to be more accurate.

The bar was filled, many loud men and women chattering and singing with not a single care in the world. The lights were low, and the music was loud enough to hide the man in the corner with his head down against the table. 

Jason looked around, making sure no one noticed as we sat on either side of the man. 

"Discreetly." Jason whispered.

I put my hand on the back of his sweat drenched t shirt. His head snapped up, looking at me with wide black eyes.

"Hi." I mumbled, unsure how to explain this.

"'Hi' headass. Who the fuck are you?" He asked, sitting back from both Jason and I. Jason leaned forward on the table, leaning on his hand wanting to see how this played out. 

I could tell there was something wrong with the man. His pale white skin was flushed, his eyes were changing size, and coincidentally the lights began to flicker.

"Oh, my head." The man groaned, leaning back onto the table. "Fuck, my body..." He muttered. "Did you drug me?" He asked standing up, only to fall back against the wall.

"No," I stood up with him, grabbing his arm to steady him. I sent Jason a look hoping he'd help but instead he raised a hand, signaling me to continue. "I'm just trying to help you. Have a seat."

" What the fuck did you do to me?" He growled, trying to lift his head. " Get your hands off of me!" He shoved my arm off. The electricity cut off catching everyone's attention. With all the noise gone, the sound of wind howling could clearly be heard.

"That's your cue, Serenity." Jason whispered while everyone was chattering about the lights.

I put both my hands on the mans arm, pulling him down to sit with me. He mumbled something incoherently but didn't move. It's way harder to do this on a grown man than with an animal. The wind began to pick up speed, making the doors rattle.