Chapter 27

Camryn's P.O.V

My whole body froze. ''What do you mean, 'they know who we are?'"

"Exactly as I said." Mike replied. "Crescendo figured out that we are working for Cronics, and sent you something."

Confusion spread throughout my body, my eyebrows furrowing. "They left...something for me? Why on Earth would they do that?" After a few seconds of silence, I realize that Mike was trying to answer me so I had to stop them, "Don't answer that, Mike. I will be there soon, I just have to find Heather and tell her I have to go."

I imagined him nodding as I hung up. A hand landed on my shoulder, making my head shoot up. I sighed in relief when I noticed that it was only Heather trying to get my attention.

"Hey, Cam, I hate to tell you this after we were having so much fun but, I have to go."

I nodded my head, "Well, you're in luck, I have to go as well. Would you like a ride? Or did you drive here?" We had met up here, and when I arrived, she was already at the door, waiting for me.

Heather smiled at me, "I would love a ride." We both got into my car in silence.

I was flicking through the stations when Heather spoke up. "Have you ever felt...that you made a bad decision by joining whatever your league of assassins is called?"

I glanced at her and shrugged before saying, "Well...sometimes, when it keeps me from something else that I may really like. Why do you ask?"

She grabbed my hand and started playing with my fingers, "Oh, nothing. I was just curious." We sat in comfortable silence for most of the way back to her house, except for a few words being passed back and forth every now and then.

When we finally arrived to her house, I stepped out and opened her door for her, "M'lady." I said bowing in an exaggerating way, holding my hand out.

Heather laughed and accepted my hand, "Why thank you, miss." We walked to her door, where we stood for a few extra minutes.

I rubbed the back of my neck, suddenly feeling nervous, "Well, I better go. Have a nice night, Heather." I turned and started walking away when Heather called out to me. I turned back to her, "What do you-" Heather pressed her soft lips onto mine, and I didn't hesitate to kiss back.

After a couple more seconds, we pulled away, as air became an issue for us. "Now it's going to be a good night." Heather said, smiling.

I laughed, "I guess it has to be, now."
After one last peck, I turned to leave.
"See you soon, Heather."

Hopefully

°°°°••••○○○○●●●●

I burst through the door, panting. "Sorry I took so long, I had to drop Heather off at her house."

I ignored Jesse wiggling her eyebrows and moved over to Mike, who had the package we were talking about.

I took the knife out of my boot and slice the tape, and pulled open the box. Inside was a recorder. I looked at Jesse and Mike, who gave me a 'hurry up' type of look.

I pressed play. "Hello, Camryn. Miss us?" My breathing picked up, my vision getting fuzzy. Mike and Jesse had me sit down on the couch and helped me calm down.

"Who were they?" Mike asked as a tear made its way down my cheek.

"My old foster parents."