Chapter 4

Cam's P.O.V
I sat up quickly in bed, drenched in cold sweat and shaking. I looked down at my hands to see they were shaking slightly from the nightmare.
No, I thought as I gripped onto my sheets tightly, it wasn't a dream, it really happened. I tightened my grip on my bed sheets, trying to calm down.

Those memories are the reasons why I chose to only get close to the ones I have known for years and I have learned enough of them to know how they work and what they do when they feel any of their feelings.

A knock on the door brought me out of my thoughts. "Who is it?" I called out.

"It's..."She pauses." Heather. I just wanted to tell you breakfast is ready." She had stuck her head in after saying her name so I just nodded, hoping she would go away. She did. I sighed in relief. I really hope she doesn't want to be friends, I dont know if I can handle it right now. I thought as I got up to leave the room.

°°°°••••○○○○●●●●

As soon as I got downstairs, I could smell the pancakes and bacon. I did a small victory dance because I haven't been able to have either of those foods for awhile. I entered the kitchen to see Heather putting the last of the food on the table. As she turned to put the stuff away, I swiftly sat into my chair and waited for her to turn around. Once she did, she jumped. At her expression, I chuckled softly. Damn, that was easier than I thought.

"Sorry for startling you." I said as I dug into the food. Soon after, Mark and Jesse joined us. We had some small talk because, if we are going to protect this girl. We need to know her better. Then she asked us a couple questions.

"What do you you guys do for fun? Do you guys help everyone who gets attacked? How can I trust you? And why are you all here? Because no one just randomly shows up to a small town when they are rich unless they want power over our little town like the the people who live on Martin Lane. I'm suprised you didnt choose there to live..." She started spewing questions at us. I looked around at my friends before answering.

"For fun we dont do much but just watch movies or shows, read, or train with uncle. Yes we try to help anyone we can, I cant answer your next question cause only you can and it is more comfortable for us here rather than the richer people." Jesse replys calmly.

Out of our group, I am the only assassin while Mark and Jesse are just agents, but they each have a special skill. Mark is a sharpshooter Jesse is our leader and medic. That is how all teams are in Cronics. Unless you need a bigger group, there should only be an assassin, a leader/medic, and a sharpshooter . If you need anymore people, two groups usually combined. And there would also be the tech but we haven't been assigned one yet.

Cronics likes to keep us in small groups so that way we won't be figured out so easily on the field. At one point, they had the groups bigger and that was when I first joined, but we were found so quickly and lost so many mem that they decided to make all group numbers lower.

As for why were are here...well...We were only here for a mission, that was it, no more, no less.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even notice Mark snapping his fingers in my face."Earth To Cam." I snapped my head up. "Yes?"

"We need to get ready for school and drop her," he points to Heather, who was staring at me, "off and all the other stuff we need to do." I nodded and quickly stood up. I undersrood his hidden message. Suck it up and take her because you need to do these things as well. By now, I normally would be out of sight finding a new hide out. When I get back, I can do that. Heather was still staring so I tried to ignore her as I headed upstairs.

The other stuff was our report to my uncle. I quickly but on my jeans, Star Wars tee shirt, and my tennis shoes, and went to grab the keys to the car and went outside to wait.

It was a chilly November in Washington, but the view we had was beautiful. I got to see the sun rise over the trees. I reminded me of when I was younger.

When I still had my parents.

I was so lost in thought that I didn't notice someone behind me. When they touched my shoulder, I reflexively grabbed at their hand and flipped them onto their back. Then I met those gray-green eyes. Oh for fluck sake Cam. You're supposed to be protecting this girl and instead, you injure her, great job.

She stands up, rubbing her limbs that would probably be sore from the impact. "I-I'm sorry." I studdered. I never stutter. I mentally slap myself.

She sends a look my way before she says "It's fine. Let's go." Then she slammed the car door before I could say anything else.

Well crud.