Chapter 17

Camryn's P.O.V.
I send a small, painful smile to Heather as I try to clean the wound. She finally seems to snap out of it when I groan in both annoyance and pain. "Here, let me help." I didn't say anything but let her clean and bandage the gunshot wound.
"When did this even happen?" She said in bewilderment.

I chuckled softly, "obviously it was when those guys showed up."

"Which ones?"

"You cannot be serious."

"There were two groups of people there, Camryn." She rolled her eyes before she sat on the bed, patting the spot beside her. Shrugging to myself, I laid down with Heather staring at me intently, as if she can get answers from just staring at me.

After I was settled down she finally decided to ask the million dollar question, "How did you get all of those scars?"

I almost laughed, but I stifled it so I could say a simple, "Let's just say that I had a bit of a...rough childhood." As soon as I said that though, all of the lighthearted things I was going to say dissapeared as memories surfaced. No matter how many years it has been, he always appears in my mind, taunting me.

Turning away from Heather, I felt my body shake as I tried to recall anything other than him. "Oh my god! Are you okay? Should I go get-"

"Leave." I interrupted with a whisper.

"W-what?" She stutters out.

I turn back towards her and it up. "Leave." My voice was colder than ice but when I met her eyes and saw sorrow flash through them, I forced myself to sound a little nicer, "please."

She nodded and left the room quickly. As soon as the door shut behind her, I laid onto my back and put a hand over my eyes as I quietly let the tears I've held in for months flow.

I thought about him and anger flowed through me before I stood up, wiped the tears from my eyes and walked into the bathroom. Staring at myself in the mirror, I noted that I look like a mess.

My short hair was matted, amber eyes were puffy and bloodshot, and there were tear stains on my cheeks.
I laughed at myself, pathetic, you let one measly question get to you like that?

My mind and I had a battle that ended up with me getting angry at myself. Angry enough to punch the mirror and yell "stupid" and various other things at myself more than enough times.

I'm sure the others have heard me by now, but I didn't care. All I cared about what getting his words out of my head. Finally, I turned on the shower and sat down, the water scorching my skin. One last tear made its was down my face before I wiped it off and stood up, washing off my knuckles and the gunshot.

After the shower, I walked calmly down the stairs and into the kitchen. I warmed up a cup of tea and then made my way outside, onto the porch.
As I stared up at the stars, I sensed a presence at the door. "You can come and sit, you know." I said without turning to look at them.

The swing chair wobbled a bit as she sat down. She was staring at my fist, but I paid no mind as I continued to watch the stars. "Are you okay?" Heather asked. Am I?
I laughed, "At this point, I don't know."

"What was the crashing in the bathroom?"

"I...may or may not have punched the mirror."

"Why would you go and do that?" She gaped as I shrugged and went silent. I watched as a few emotions flashed through her green eyes then she reached for my hand.

I flinched away from her and she slightly glared at me. "I want to look at it." She put on her puppy dog eyes, "Please?" I sighed and held out my hand.

She unwrapped it, "So...where did you learn to do all of this stuff?" I asked.

She smiled a little before telling me about how her father is the owner of some big business that runs both advanced technology, like the weapons at Cronics, and a hospital, where Heather learned to do all of this stuff.

We talked for what seemed like hours. Just before the sun came up, we decided that it was time for sleep. We both walked into the house and she started making her way to the living room.
"What are you doing?" I asked, confusing filling me.

"Uhh..going to sleep." She said, looking just as confused.

I rubbed the back of my neck, "You can...I mean if you want...you can stay in my room, with me, again it's only if you want. I don't want you to think-" I cut myself off, blushing. Oh my god, I sound so...weird. What the heck is wrong with me?

She smiled softly, "If you are fine with it, than sure. Beats having to sleep on that couch."
I barked out a laugh, "Yeah, you are right about that." We started walking up to my room.

"You can sleep in the bed, if you want." I say as I walked over to my bed and pulled out some extra blankets from under my bed.

"That wouldn't feel righ to me, I mean, you did get shot today, I'm sure sleeping on the ground will make it feel bad."

I smiled and turned to her, "The floor won't bother me, my body heat high enough to where it won't."

"You should do that more often. Smile, I mean." Heather spoke up as I went into my closet.

"There isn't much to smile about these days. Most of the time, I am out on a mission, so there isn't much time to stop and chat with people."

She frowned but didn't say anything else as I laid down next to her. Before I turned off my lamp, I rolled over to look at Heather and said,
"Sorry in advance for the things I may do."

She turned to me but before she could say anymore, I rolled over and said. "Goodnight." I heard her sigh in exasperation before I was gladly taken by sleep.