29

Chapter 29

My crying had finally subsided after thirty solid minutes. I'm sure certain parts were uncomfortable for Josh. But he didn't complain once to me. My body was limp against his as he continued to run his fingers through my hair.

While I was having a breakdown Josh had taken out my braid and continually combed his fingers through my hair as he held me. Every so often he would press a kiss to the top of my head or my forehead and I loved it.

I feel his grip on me loosen and his body start to move underneath me. I let out a whimper in protest and tighten my hold on him.

"I'm just adjusting baby." he whispers in my ear.

Once he's settled again he wraps his arm around my body and rubs my back soothingly.

"I don't want you to go Josh. Please don't leave me" I beg him

"I'm not going anywhere baby."

I lift my head up and look into his eyes again.

"Promise?"

The corners of his mouth turn up.

"I promise Piccolo"

His hand moves down to my thigh and rests there as he watches me.

"You never did tell me why you went to Italy" I mumble

"It's a long story"

"I have time. I need a distraction."

"After my mom left my dad didn't know how to take care of me. So he shipped me off to a school in a small village outside of Sicily. I had to stay with a family there who had a son around my age. He went to the same school. His name was Antonio."

He starts rubbing my thigh absentmindedly, which helps me keep my focus on him and what's he's saying to me.

"Anyway long story short, Antonio and I got along really well, he practically became my brother and he really helped me a lot through all the changes. I learned Italian from him and his family"

"How long were you there?"

"Two years"

My eyes widen and my jaw drops. He was away from his father for two years!

"When I turned sixteen he said he wanted me to come back but our deal had to remain in tact still. He said if I didn't go live with him he would refuse to pay for the schooling I was getting there, and since I was in Italy on a temporary residence I had to leave."

I take a second to think about what he told me.

"I'm sorry your dad is such a dick" I blurt

Josh chuckles.

"I'm not"

I look at him questionably.

"If he wasn't such an ass I wouldn't have met you."

My heart fluttered and I felt a piece of me come back to life.

"But you saw me crying"

"Yeah, but I wouldn't have talked to you if I hadn't stopped by your house."

"Why?"

"Why what?" He asks with a raised eyebrow.

"Why wouldn't you have talked to me?"

The doubt began to creep its way into the pit of my stomach again. I felt like I was going to hurl. I knew he was out of my league. His fathers words ring in my ears. "You're not his type"