5

Chapter 5

When I wake up the next morning my mind wanders. I slowly get out of bed after shutting off my alarm, and head into my closet. I decide to wear my favorite pair of ripped skinny jeans, and a white T-shirt that has a pocket. I tie the bottom of the T-shirt and put on my army green jacket before shoving my feet into my black converse.

I quickly brush my hair and throw it up into a high ponytail before putting a small layer of makeup on and putting on my glasses.

I rush down the stairs and take a seat at the table with my mom.

"Dad and Logan gone already?" I ask grabbing a glass and pouring the apple juice into it.

My mom nods without saying anything.

"Are you ok?" I ask her

She looks up at me and smiles.

"I'm fine Kel. Im just tired, your father has been keeping me up at night, he's been leaving the light on to work on the plays for the game and then working on the paperwork for Sandy."

She pauses and takes a deep breath.

"I'm sorry I had such a bad attitude yesterday." I tell her taking another sip of my juice.

"I know it's hard honey and you're grieving, we all are. And I don't mind you giving me sass as long as you stay safe and healthy."

Tears form in her eyes as she continues.

"When you were in that hospital bed, I lost it. I couldn't help but think that I did something wrong with the way I raised you. I was so scared that you had turned into my mother. It killed me seeing you like that"

I reach across the table and grab my moms hand.

"I'm not going back to that ever again" I promise

Mom smiles at me weakly and wipes her eyes with her free hand.

"We need to get you to school honey" she says, sniffling.

I nod and stand up before putting my glass in the sink and grabbing my backpack from the table.

I pat Mrs. Fuzzbucket on the head and follow mom outside to the car and she drives me to school.

**

By the time lunch had rolled around Thalia had gotten my mind on to something aside from my grandmother. She had been going on for the last five minutes about a tiff she had at the store over a pair of shoes.

"I felt like I was in that Hannah Montana story, she was gonna rip my head off." She says with a laugh.

"Did you at least get the shoes?"

"Duh. Of course I did. I am Thalia Renee Burdock. You bet your ass I got the damn shoes."

Thalia and I share a laugh as the boys sit down at the table. I glance over at Logan and can see the anger written all over his face.

I look to Ezra and he just shakes his head.

"Baby you'll never guess what happened this weekend. I-" Thalia starts, but stops once she sees Logan's face.

"What happened?" She asks scooting closer to him and placing her hand on his arm.

Ezra smacks his palm to his forehead.