3

Chapter 3

I had turned into a sobbing pile of mush by the time my butt hit the soft grass. I tried so hard to keep my sobs in but it wasn't working. Grandma Sandy was all I had, my only friend besides Thalia.

To think that such a kind soul didn't get enough time on this dreaded planet crushed me. I was so lost in thought that I didn't realize someone was standing in front of me until a deep resounding voice speaks to me.

"Hey you okay?"

I glance up and see a shadowy, blurry figure.

I sniff and wipe my eyes before glancing up again.

A guy I had never seen before was standing in front of me, blocking the sun. I couldn't make out his face, but the blonde of his hair was bright against the sun. His eyes were dark and his cheekbones were high and defined. Stubble softly littered his chin and cheeks, defining his full lips even more.

"Yeah I'm fine" I manage.

My voice had turned raspy and weak due to my sobs.

He sits down next to me and leans against the chain link fence, resting his arms on his knees.

"You don't look fine piccolo."

"Piccolo?"

He rubs the back of his neck as his cheeks get red.

"Yeah sorry, it means little one. I spent a few years in Italy and picked up a few things" he says with a chuckle.

"I like it" I tell him with a small smile.

The corner of his mouth curves up into a tiny smile.

"Hey I got you to smile. That's something."

I duck my head and tuck a piece of hair behind my ear.

"I'm Josh" he says sticking his hand out.

"Kelly" I reply shaking his hand.

"Kelly huh? I haven't heard that name in a while."

"I'm named after my grandma. She died when my dad was really young"

"It's nice that she can live on through you though."

I slowly nod my head.

"Hey, there's this party that I'm throwing in a few weeks, if you're interested-"

Before he can finish a bright cherry red mustang pulls up next to us.

"Joshie get in!" Trina yells from the driver's side.

"I got to go, but I'll see you later Kelly" Josh says standing up and wiping his hands on his jeans, before sticking his hands in his letterman jacket pockets.

I wave at him as he gets in the car. He rolls down the passenger side window and winks at me as Trina drives off.

A few minutes pass by as I compose myself before I stand up and collect my things from the ground. I start making my way towards the school just as Logan and dad come walking out.

"There you are. I was worried kiddo" my dad says pulling me into his arms.

"We we're looking all over for you Kel" Logan tells me as my dad releases me from his hug.

"I'm sorry, I just needed some fresh air"

"I know kiddo." My dad says.

"Let's just go home"

My dad wraps his arm around my shoulder as we walk to his truck.

Logan jumps in the back without a fight and I knew they were really worried. Logan and I constantly fought over who got the passenger seat.