16

Chapter 16

Guilt caused my stomach to twist as I waited for Josh. I promised Logan we would be ok and I know when he finds out that I'm seeing Josh, he'll hate me. It won't matter that I'm his twin sister. All that will matter is the fact that I betrayed him by sneaking around with his enemy.

I twist my hands together and pick at the skin around my nails. I knew I was early but the longer I waited to more anxious I got. I was terrified Logan would look out his bedroom window and see me standing here.

My panic is subsided when a black GMC truck pulls up in front of me. The passenger window rolls down and I'm greeted with Josh's smiling face.

"Hey" he says to me with a grin

I smile at him and get in the monstrous truck. The interior was all black, and all leather. He had the air conditioner blowing and soft pop music was playing in the background. Hanging up on the mirror was was a beaded bracelet that spelled out Kiana. On the control panel he had a picture of a older woman and a younger girl. I was assuming it was his mom and Kiana.

"This is nice"

"Yeah, just got it back today."

"Who's that?" I ask pointing to the picture.

He smiles and plucks the picture off the panel and hands it to me.

"That's my mom Debbie, and my sister Kiana. I took this last time I saw them. Ki was only seven then. It was at my moms wedding"

"You haven't seen your mom in five years?" I blurt

"My dad doesn't really let me see them to much. They didn't have the cleanest divorce. They hate each other."

"I'm sorry."

Josh shrugs and adjusts his left hand on the wheel.

"I'm glad they separated. It's better this way."

I found my curiosity getting the better of me, so I opened my mouth against my better judgement.

"What happened?"

Josh slows as he approaches a stop light and glances at me. The normally sweet calming features were now tight and cold.

"My dad is a fucking prick is what happened."

I flinch at the choice of words.

"He was abusive and he's not a nice man."

My eyes trail over his arm to the long scar on his forearm.

"Did he do that?" I ask in a low voice.

Josh lowers his arm out of my line of sight and doesn't take his eyes off the road. The muscles in his jaw ticks and tightens but he doesn't answer me.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." I whisper taking my eyes away from him.

I start to twist my fingers in my lap. Josh reaches over and grabs my hand before lacing our fingers together.

"I'm sorry, I just don't like talking about it. I'll get there, just give me time."

A comfortable silence falls over us as we continue our drive. I didn't know where he was taking me but I trusted him, I knew he'd take care of me.

**

"Piccolo wake up" Josh whispers in my ear.

I blink a few times and lift my head off of the headrest.

"What happened?"

Josh chuckles at me and unbuckles my seatbelt.

"You fell asleep"

I yawn and glance at the clock.

"Holy shit it's midnight already!"

Josh grabs my hand and helps me out of the truck. I stumble slightly as my feet hit the grass below me. I look around and see an empty field surrounding us.

"Where are we?"

"A friend of mines family owns most of the land in Elizabethtown we're about two hours north of Troy."

"Josh my parents would kill me if they found out I was here."

"I'll have you home in time, nobody will even know you're gone"

He shuts the truck door after grabbing a blanket out of the backseat and grabs my hand, lacing our fingers together.

He leads me around the back of his truck. My jaw drops at what I see before me. The bed of his truck was decked out, blankets lay scattered and pillows covered the front.

Josh hops onto the bed and extends his hand for me. I grab it and he pulls me up. He pulls me down to join him as he leans against the pillows.

"What are we doing here Josh?"

He lays his head on the pillow and points up to the sky.

I tilt my head up, the sky was filled with thousands of bright twinkling stars.

"The best view in all of the state right there."

I settle down next to him and stare into the sky.

"My grandma always told me that each star was a persons dream or wish just waiting to come true." I whisper.

Josh's knuckles brush against mine as he rests his hand on the bed of the truck.

"Are any of your wishes up there?" He asks me in a low voice.

"Yeah, but it's silly"

"Try me"

I let out a puff of air.

"I watched my parents for the last sixteen years fall more in love with each other everyday. I've never heard them yell at each other or get in to fights. I want that. I want to find someone that loves me as much as my dad loves my mom, I want to love someone the way my mom loves my dad."

Josh loops his pinkie around mine.

"That's not silly at all Kelly."

I turn my head to look at him to find him already staring at me with a intense look in his green eyes.

He lifts his free hand up and tucks a loose piece of hair behind my ear. His touch sent shivers through my body.

"That's a great thing to wish for in life. Having that stability in life."

I turn on my side so I can face him fully. He switches his position so he can be the same way. He brings our entwined hands up to his lips and presses a kiss to the back of my hand.

I tuck my bottom lip in between my teeth as I search his face. He wasn't giving anything away. I watch him glance down to my lips quickly before he looks back into my eyes.

I lean into him and gently press my lips to his in a sweet kiss. He doesn't hesitate to kiss me back. His hand trails down my body before landing on my waist and pulling me closer to his body.

I run my free hand through his hair and slightly tug at his roots. He groans deep in his throat and tugs my body closer to his.

When we break apart Josh smiles at me and starts tracing circles on my hip with his thumb.

After a few moments of content silence Josh kisses my forehead and pulls me closer to him so I rest my head on his chest.

I listen to the steady beat of his heart as it lulls me to sleep. And right before I fall asleep I hear him whisper in my ear.

"I hope your wish comes true"