Catching Up

Chapter 7

January 2019

~TRAVIS~

Elijah and I both agree on meeting up at a little coffee shop located within the general vicinity of where we used to go to high school in Vacaville. It was the same one we used to hang out at when we were kids. Surprisingly enough it hadn't changed at all over the past twelve years and just stepping back into the cozy little shop for the first time in forever brought back so many memories.

I end up arriving first and have to wait about twenty minutes for Elijah to arrive. I was tempted to leave, assuming that he had decided to bail, but he conveniently shows up right as I was preparing to leave.

"Travis Tucker," he says, as he approaches me with a smirk.

"Elijah Radford," I say back, playing along as I assume this is the part where we dramatically say eachother's names before we say anything else.

His smirk quickly turned into a full smile and he looked down at his feet awkwardly as if he didn't know what else to say.

"You wanna... have a seat?" I ask him, as I notice he's just standing there.

"Yeah, sure," he replies, very awkwardly taking a seat. I guess it's hard for him to believe that this is actually happening, considering...

"So... what have you been up to these past couple of years?" He asks me.

"Nothing really. I went to college... ya know... right after high school... University of San Francisco... got a job at a law firm... and now I'm a paralegal," I say with next to no enthusiasm. "You?"

"I went to college too, but I didn't go until I was 20. Took two years off to work. Got into banking and now I work at a bank. Pretty boring but..."

"... At least you're married right?"

"Yeah, I am married..." I noticed he looked away as he said that.

"For how long?"

"Let's see, we've been together since we were 23, I think? Got married in the summer of '17."

"Cool..." I say, coldly. "What's that like? Being married?"

He looks at me funny. "It's pretty nice." What, just nice?

"Sounds fun," I say, lacking the sincerity.

"What about you? How's your love life going?"

"It's nonexistent at the moment," I say, inciting him to look up at me as he's been staring down at the table through most of this conversation.

"Really? You're not seeing anyone? When was the last time you went out with someone?"

"It's been a hot minute," I let out a faint chuckle.

"That's too bad, man."

"Not really, I'm happy living alone. I got friends to chill with and it's been pretty fun these past couple of years. We actually just got together not too long ago to celebrate my 29th. My best friend, Jenny, set it all up. She's so sweet and I love her to death." Obviously, most of what I had just said about being happy alone is not true. I fucking hate my life right now, but no way in hell am I gonna let him know that.

"Jenny, huh? You like her?" He says with a smirk, just like he used to do whenever he could tell that I liked a girl back when we were in high school. Things are different now though.

"Well I mean, I just said that I love her to death?" I reply, pretending as if I didn't know where he was going with that.

"No, I mean, more than a friend?" Uh no?