Chapter 24 : One Step Forward and Two Steps Back

°•°•°•°

Aurora

I was running. I was running towards my freedom. Yes. I could almost taste it, could almost feel it tangible in the air. Why was the ground so wet? I was wading through the thick, flowing mud. I placed all my energy into taking another step. It felt like I was wearing steel boots and the weight of it was sucking me down into the squelchy soil. Just one more step, I urged myself on.

"Where are you running off to Mutt?" A cold voice sneered out of the darkness.

Panic shocked my body into numbness. No. This cannot be happening. No, no, no! I pushed through with more force. I was waist deep in the muddy ground. At this point, I was kicking my legs to stay afloat. Cold sweat beaded on my forehead and some of it trickled down my spine. I kicked my legs harder.

"You know I'll find you, don't you? Yes, you do. Just a matter of time." Demetrius' echoed from somewhere. The sound was coming from all directions. "I can smell your fear. It's coursing through your veins. I'll find you..."

No! I thrashed around, bits of mud flying everywhere and some landing on my face and my hair. No!

"I'll find you. My pureblood-Mutt."

His voice grated into my ears. He was whispering incessantly. There were so many voices but it all belonged to him. Again and again, drowning out reality.

"Get out of my head." The ground was sucking me under. "Get out of my head!"

A warm hand entwined around my hand.

"Get out!" I screamed. "Get out! Get out!"

"Aurora... it's me." Someone said. "Can you hear me?"

I felt a gentle nudge on my shoulders.

"God. Please wake up Aurora. It's me... Erian."

A worried face materialized in front of me.

Arms slipped underneath my legs and my back, lifting me up. "Yes! Listen to me. Listen to my voice. That's it. Just hang on."

I tried to talk but words wouldn't form. It was so dark. The world swayed from side to side as I attempted to lift my head and see where I was.

"I'm taking you to your father. Just hang on."

°•°•°•°

Demetrius

"She's gone," my wolf said his voice complete with remorse. My strong and fierce wolf pining for her similar to when someone takes away a child's most cherished toy. It was expected. I was feeling that remorse too. The bond was egging me to throw all caution to the wind and run after her and get her back.

A small sliver of moonlight pierced the darkness of the room and disappeared. The rain fell hard outside, dampening the last lingering wisps of her scent. It was vanishing from the study as well, replaced by the fresh night air. It would take the most experienced tracker in his clan to find her after this torrential pour. She must be assured about that, not a doubt.

I smiled.

My wolf allowed me to shift, a little reluctantly. I was breathing hard.

"Take that damned injection." He gritted. "Otherwise, you and I both will hunt her down."

I scoffed humorously. So far so good. I reached for the prepared syringe and rammed it onto the flank of my abdomen. The drug worked instantaneously as it always did. The effects of the bond weakened. I could think clearly again. My wolf had done his part diligently. Yes. Not a step out of place. He had let her go. My wolf was hurting now but he would recover. Like always.