Chapter 22 : The Bond

°•°•°•°

Demetrius

"Take me to her." This time my wolf commanded.

He was fighting for control. He needed the comfort of his mate. I swallowed the bitter taste of denial and willed myself to calm down. The red was intensifying in my eyes as my wolf fought for release. I had almost reached the study. A few more steps.

I stumbled inside, my hands trembling as I lunged for the injection on the table. My wolf howled in desperation. My fingernails morphed into claws, scraping the wooden surface with ugly marks. My canines nipped my bottom lip angrily. A rivulet of blood snaked down my neck.

The addictive scent was driving me insane.

Why was it growing stronger? My insides were knotted. An abrupt rip shot through the air as my claws ripped through my shoes. I gripped the edge of the table for support, heaving for air. The surrounding pronounced with clarity. I could see each and every thing with focused clarity. My pores opened for her scent. My knees buckled and I crashed on the floor.

My wolf howled in excitement. Then he took over.

I shifted.

"Demetrius?" Her voice called out to me. Her supple frame stood at the doorway, half-shocked and half-amazed. "Wh-what happened to you?"

I looked down expecting to see my front paws. What the hell? Hairy hands and claws half-morphed stared back. I was caught half way between shifting. My entire body burned as the bones inside tried to break and reform but I kept pushing them back. The pain racked my body.

"Go away." I rasped. My voice sounded so alien. "Aurora... go away."

After what seemed like the longest minute, she started to walk towards me. What the hell was she doing?

"I said go away!"

I was on all fours. Pain exploded in every atom of my body. It was blinding and pure. I had been suppressing my wolf for far too long and he had finally gathered the strength to fight for his chance with his mate. I saw nothing but darkness as I closed my eyes for the fear of what my wolf would do if he saw her. I cried in pain.

I felt a warm hand on my back. It was placed with incredible hesitation. I could feel it. The touch was inconceivably calming. An instant remedy for the agony. I arched my back into the hand for more.

"How can I help?" Aurora asked, her voice shaky. "Demetrius? I'm going to get Andrew... wait..."

"No!" That wasn't me. It was my wolf.

She got down on the floor beside me. "Yes? Yes... I'm here. What do you need?"

I blindly reached for her, clutching at thin air. She was like the oxygen that I needed to ease the pain. My breaths came out in gasps now. I curled into her side for more contact.

Maybe she got the hint because she took me in her arms, holding me with a force I didn't know she had. She gently rocked me back and forth. "It's okay....It's okay...I'm here."

"Aurora..." I felt faint. "...Injection...n-need..."

Aurora

Demetrius' voice sounded so feeble. "Aurora...injection...n-need..."

Injection? What did he want it for? Where was it? I scanned the room. There it was on the study table, at the end of a trail of claw marks. God knew what the contents in that syringe was and why did he need it so desperately? I had never seen him in this manner before. This was Demetrius at his low. Vulnerable.

I could see him struggling to keep himself from shifting. He was holding himself back. I felt the burning rush of blood underneath his skin as I held him close. He was trembling all over. It was most peculiar, seeing someone so strong now weak and stripped of power. He groped for my hands again and this time clutched one with fading energy. I reached for the injection but Demetrius stopped me. He would not let go of my hand.

"Don't."

"But you just told me to get the injection." I claimed. He wasn't acting like his usual self.

He gathered the energy to speak once again. "Forget the injection. Come closer."

He was acting like a person with a personality disorder. I loathed going anywhere near him but something in me made me stay put. I had him in my embrace, his body quivering and slowly weakening. His grip on my hand was wilting. I held him tightly. I laid my head on the curve of the back his neck. He was burning. I thought to say words of comfort but they died in my throat. Maybe the intimacy was enough. For now. He was a person drowning in pain and I was the straw he was clutching at. The hatred I had for him was strong but I guess humanity is always stronger. I could not leave him.

So I waited. I held him close. I offered him comfort with my nearness. Slowly his ragged breaths became even. The burn in his body lessened to the normal temperature. Hours must have passed. My hands were aching from sitting so long in the same position, supporting his heavy body. Pins and needles were prickling in both my legs. Whenever I tried to move, he would hold me back. So I decided to wait it out.

Suddenly a soft vibration hummed from within his body. He was shifting! I let go to allow him more space. He writhed on the floor as the bones in his body changed and aligned anew. It was startling to watch. As his body grew, his clothes ripped into shreds and fell onto the floor. The heavy matted black fur sprouted and covered his body. It was a smooth transition because this time he wasn't fighting it.

When he was fully changed the size of his wolf filled the space of the room. He was huge. He panted, adjusting to his wolf.

I stood in silence. I should have left. But this was the first time I was with his wolf alone. I was curious. I wanted to reach out and touch his fur. I wanted to feel the texture of it underneath my fingers. He would never let that happen in a million years. I wasn't a mate to him. I was the pure-blood mutt. That word that twisted in my gut like a sharp dagger. I felt the mark on my neck flare with irritation. After a while, he must have noticed my presence. His eyes were on me. Deep, rich and red.

He put his paw a step towards me and that was all it took to cover the distance between us. He looked down at me from his height. I stood my ground.

Shockingly enough, he bent down and nuzzled my face. His fur was soft and like the soft bristles of the hairbrush I had at home. I sighed with relief. It was so relaxing. This moment. I could almost imagine him as my mate. Someone who could care for me. Someone who could love me.

"No Aurora! He is a monster! How can you forget the things he has done to you?"

The voice asked. It was me! It was my wolf! She was speaking to me! Her words dawned with clarity.

I wasn't going to let him manipulate me anymore.

°•°•°•°

What do you make of Aurora's wolf finally speaking to her? Good, bad or meh?

What do you think Demetrius' wolf will do next?

Comment, comment and share love!