Chapter 14: The Elders

Here's another one.

Enjoy!

°•°•°•°

Third Person Narration

"We HAVE to take action!" Mason growled at the Elders.

The ambience was tense and everyone could taste it in the air. The Elders were all standing at random places, dressed in their traditional white robes.

"Alpha Ares," An Elder started. "We cannot jump into executing the plan without knowing every angle of the situation."

"Situation? My daughter has been kidnapped!"

"Exactly. You are under emotional stress and your relation to her is clouding your sense of fair judgement."

Mason took in the Elder's words, mulling it over and came to realise that perhaps they was right. He wanted his Kathleen back at any costs. Maybe his love for her could endanger her life.

He ran his vision across the room. The Elders were unbound by any emotional ties. This was the factor that made them capable of deciding the future of the pure-bloods.

"Okay. I understand your point but it has been almost two days since Kathleen was taken." Mason reasoned. "She has been marked. You all know the control that rouge has over my daughter."

"Yes Alpha Ares. We are aware." Another Elder spoke. "The hindrance is that we aren't able to track down the rouges' scent. It disappears near the edge of the woods and then there's nothing."

Mason listened intently, hearing all the facts he already knew because he had tracked down the rouges' path. The explanation for this was simple and daunting.

Dark Magic.

Nothing except dark magic was able to deceive a pure-blood's senses. He was certain of this and something told him the Elders knew too.

No one was stating the true facts and this angered Mason. Speaking of dark magic was scorned upon and considered taboo but the circumstances called for it. He had to be the one to spark the conversation.

"Well, dark magic can explain that," he said evenly, hoping to disguise the reluctance. "I'm certain a witch is involved and those rouges will go to any level to keep my daughter hidden."

A notable stance of disapproval took hold of the Elders, their heads lowered and communicating via the mind-links. Mason's lips were set in a tight line as he waited to hear their thoughts verbally.

The Elders mind-links were extremely powerful and not even an Alpha was able to tap into it. This gave them an edge in battle planning since only they knew what they were thinking.

Seconds passed and Mason grew restless. He waited impatiently and after what seemed like an eternity to him they turned to face him.

One of the Elders stepped forward.

"Alpha Mason, the factor of dark magic was also evaluated before you spoke about it. Over the past centuries not one witch or warlock has been known to live and by now the descendants of these beings have no idea of the power in their blood. They live lives of humans and we can eliminate witches and wurlocks from being involved."

Mason frowned silently at their ignorance. Were the Elders this stupid to think that Demetrius wouldn't have the means to get his hands on dark magic?

What they had said was true but a chance remained no matter how slim that a witch or wurlock was on the rouges side.

"Then what are you planning, Elders? I speak for my daughter's safety because she is a pure-blood." Mason ground out as calmly as he could. He needed the Elders on his side.

The Elder that had spoken made a sound that bordered on being passed as a scoff.

"A pure-blood? Alpha Ares, your daughter has been marked by a rouge." His tone was mocking. "Do you not see the reality or are you in denial? Aurora Kathleen Ares of the Crescent Clan is no longer a pure-blood."

Beyond any doubt Mason's blood ran cold at what the Elder had said. Anger, pure and raging flooded his head and he glared at them.

These sickly cowards were only pretending to find excuses to not help him. Under all that pretence the Elders had decided beforehand that his daughter was a lost cause. Her blood was contaminated.

"So what's to stop others from having cross-blood matings?" He challenged. "If a lowly rouge can mate the daughter of the Alpha of a Clan, then what's there to stop others from following suit?"

The Elder's eyes widened momentarily but then he regained his composure.

"Leave that to us, Alpha Ares."