Chapter 42

Chanyeol's choked intakes of breath were loud and grating. The simple movement of sucking oxygen into his lungs burned the linings of his throat. It soothed him, like water gliding along a dry patch of desert, when he released the lungful of air.

His blood pumped through his ears, clouding his human senses when all he could focus on was staying awake. His shoulders fell limp and his eyes struggled to remain open had it not been the high of the adrenaline keeping him from collapsing.

The arrow wound took a toll on his body, but he stood strong, covered in the blood of his enemy like a warrior.

It was over.

Or so he thought.

In his hazy trance, when all he heard was the thumping of his heart to remind him that he was still alive, he failed to notice Yoongi and his unexpected entrance.

A flash of metal looped over the top of his head. And the next thing he knew was that he was being dragged backwards by a crowbar resting horizontally under his chin, locking him in a chokehold from behind.

"Where is she?" He heard Yoongi's terrifying growl next to his ear. He couldn't answer back, not even air passed through his neck when the cold iron lever compressed his windpipe. His feet slipped against the floorboards as he attempted to pull himself away, and it was only when he found his back plunging to the ground did he realise Yoongi had released him.

Gasping for air, Chanyeol looked up to see Yoongi's shoes on either side of his body, standing over him.

"Don't make me ask again," Yoongi warned, "WHERE. IS. SHE?"

Chanyeol laughed humourlessly, shaking his head at Yoongi as he leaned his head against the wood of the floor. "Cute of you to ask me where 'your girl' is, Min Yoongi. Why don't you know?"

The main doors slammed open with the KSI scooping in. Weapons and guns were raised, bullets flew off the walls and all hell broke loose.

At the corner of Yoongi's eye, he could see his boys covering for him, fighting off their new arrivals in a circle position, keeping their leader safe in the middle with their rival enemy mercilessly at his hands.

He caught Hoseok's eye next, who was frantically looking for any sign of Taehyung as he shot through the crowd.

Turning his attention back to Chanyeol, a dark and chilling look flashed across his face when he bent down, hovering the crowbar above his eye. "Don't test my patience, Park Chanyeol. Where's Soo-ji?! If she's harmed in any way in here, I swear to god I will make you responsible for it!"

Yoongi was growing desperate. Looking around him now, where the chaos devolved into an absolute war zone, he only feared for the safety of Soo-ji even more. Dead bodies piled on top of each other and he shivered to even imagine Soo-ji lying at the bottom of it. Chanyeol, on the other hand, knew she was okay, that she made it out on time. And with this knowledge that only he knew, he couldn't resist to taunt Yoongi over it.

Chanyeol smirked at him, the grey glint of the metal bar equally reflecting the danger in his eye. "So now you care for her? After you so easily threw her away like a piece of trash? Make up your mind, would you? Soo-ji doesn't deserve someone like you."

A kick to the abdomen had Chanyeol doubling over. He hunched on his side, feeling the arrow wedge deeper into his flesh from the impact.

"I wish my bullet hit you just an inch more to the left straight to your fucking heart." Yoongi seethed in his face, stepping onto his chest. His bullet wound opened up, soaking through the bandages to his shirt where a red patch was blooming into a big circle like a sacred flower.