YFN Finale

March 24, 2021

The sunlight passing through the window curtains signifies that another day has come.

A smile crept up on my face the moment I opened my eyes.

I moved my eyes to the clock placed on my table. It reads 7:05.

My eyes widen when I saw the date in the calendar.

Today is my birthday!

I immediately move out of the bed and hurried inside the bathroom.

The mirror greeted me as I went inside. I stop abruptly to stare at myself. I didn't notice that I'm becoming prettier and prettier each day that'll pass.

I chuckled at my own thoughts. Since when did I become so full of myself?

I noticed one thing again.

"Oooh, my hair grew longer..." I mumbled.

And I didn't even notice it growing.

I shrugged my shoulders then went out of the bathroom. I headed towards my room's door and grip the doorknob open.

I was surprised by the sound of party popper that welcomes me.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" Mom shouted gleefully while holding a round birthday cake with 24 candles lighted on top of it.

"Mom! You startled me!" I laughed.

"But thank you so much for this, mom. I was really surprised. You never did this on my birthdays before." I said.

"We're celebrating your life honey, this is a very special day for me and for you. Now make a wish!" She excitedly stated.

"Okay, okay, do I really have to wish on each one of the candles? It's too many..." I laughed again.

"It's only 24, just as your age." She said.

"I'm turning old..." I joked.

"But you're still my baby. Now make your wishes and blow the candles." She said as she put down the cake in my study table.

I closed my eyes to think of a wish.

I wish to be as happy like this everyday with my mom.

I wish I could celebrate my following birthdays together still with my mom.

I wish mom would be a little bit free to allow me in things I like to do.

I blew all the candles after I made my wishes.

"YEY!!!" Mom cheered, clapping her hands.

"Happy birthday my baby, I love you so much..." She embraced and locked me in her arms as she kissed the top of my head.

"I love you too mom..." I replied.

"I remember the day I gave birth to you, you were so little and soft, I'm afraid to hold you in fear that I might crush you down. I still cant accept you as my daughter at that time but I still cried when I have my first glance on you. You're the greatest gift I received in my entire life. I cant bear to lose you so I'm very thankful that you wake up again...you didn't leave me." She said.

"Of course I wont leave you mom, I am the only one and everything you have. There's only the two of us and I cant just leave you alone like that." I buried my face in her chest.

"This is a brand new year for you, what do you want to do today?" She asked.

I move out from her embrace then I took her hands.