Chapter 38 - Charity event & window writing

Beginne am Anfang

"Have they shut the doors yet, Jake ?" He asked smoothly. Man older man across the table shook his head.

"Soon, Mr. Mendes ." Everyone then began talking about business and investments and other big fancy terms that I didn't understand. So I chose to scoot closer to Shawn and nod whenever he did, as if I knew exactly what was going on in the conversation. Considering all my attention was on mimicking Shawn , it took the woman next to me three tries to get me attention, before Shawn finally frowned at me and gave me a slight nudge in her direction, making me turn to face the blonde with red cheeks.

"Oh, sorry. I was just listening to, uh, the conversation. Yeah. Hi." She let out a soft laugh.

"It's fine. I have no idea what they're talking about either."

"Shit, you could tell?" I hissed.

"Only because that's the exact same thing I do," She smiled, pointing to the man beside her.

"He always brings me to these events and I have no idea what's going on. 12 years on and you'd think he'd realise I'm a little out of my element."

My lips drew into the first comfortable smile since the time I'd stepped into the building. "Thank god I'm not the only one."

"We can just pretend we're talking about important stuff over here. How long have you and Mr. Shawn been together?"

"Erhm, we're not. We're...friends," I stammered.

"Friends."

The women burst out into laughter as if I had just told her an absolutely hilarious joke. I watched her with an awkward smile until she recovered, regarding me with an unbelieving look on her face, and said, "Oh, sweetie. This is the first event I've ever seen him bring a women to. He's obviously into you."

"That's not true," I whispered back. "He brought Cara to the Vogue Fall Fashion Show."

"Mr. Mendes at a fashion show? Seems more like the model brought him," She shrugged, earning a roll of eyes from me before she held up her hands. "Just saying."

After that, I dropped the conversation for fear that any moment Shawn would listen in and hear me discussing our relationship with a woman, whom I knew as Julia, that I had just met. Her husband apparently had been working for Shawn since the very beginning.

"Have I told you that I like your dress?" Shawn whispered suddenly, bringing his mouth to brush against my ear. "I would absolutely love to rip it off you."

I blushed furiously and glanced around to make sure no one had heard. "We're in public, Shawn ."

"For only a few more hours, Norah."

By this point, his lips were dangerously close to the point just below my earlobe that he always seemed to kiss and always sent chills down my spine. He smirked before pulling away and placing his oversized hands a few inches above my knee, not high enough to make me squirm, but high enough to tell me exactly what game he was playing. He kept a lazy smirk on his lips as he continued to chat with his business partners, the entire time bringing his hand higher and higher on my legs. I glared at his profile with a flushing face and pursed lips, screaming internally for him to stop.

"Something wrong?" Shawn murmured, slipping his hand just under the hem of my silk dress. "Your face is rather flushed babe."

I gritted my teeth and pushed his hand back down to my knee. "Stop it right now."

His fingers toyed with the hem once again. "Do not be so demanding, Norah. Plus, you really don't want me to stop me."

"Yes," I huffed, pushing his hand away once again, "I do."