Chapter 9- Modern penthouse & cold remarks

He led me through the modern penthouse as I took in the huge space. Everything was updated and sleek, the only colors it was decorated with were black and white. Huge glass windows looked out onto the New York skyline.  

"Do you like it?" He smirked, already knowing the answer. 

 "Uh, is that a question?" I scoffed. 

"This is seriously so pretty."  

"Thank you. More wine?"  I nodded eagerly at the thought of more alcohol running through my system, and therefore more boldness when it came to being around Shawn Mendes. He expertly opened a bottle and poured us each a glass. 

 He watched me as I sipped it. "Is it okay?"

  "It's amazing. You have the best taste in wine. Maybe we should invite you to Wine Wednesday," I teased.  

"Come. I'll show you around," He commanded, ignoring my previous comment with a frown. 

 I took his outstretched hand awkwardly and gripped onto my glass for dear life with my other hand. He showed me the downstairs, an open layout room with a very sleek looking kitchen, living room, and full bar. I nodded, impressed at the bar, and he rolled his eyes at me. 

 We turned a corner and ran into stairs. "I thought we were already on the top floor?"

  "No. This floor doesn't have an elevator going up to it, for security reasons," He explained as we walked up them. Each room was more impressive than the last. An office, a library, a guest room, and two full bathrooms. 

 "Do I not get to see the master bedroom?" I asked as we headed back to the stairway, leaving the last door at the end of the hall shut.

 "So eager to take me to bed, Norah. Please control yourself," He smirked down at me.  

"I was not- I-I didn't...I just wanted to see it," I stammered, blushing from embarrassment.  

"It was a joke, Norah."  

"Oh." I grinned sheepishly up at him and his eyes softened. He gave me a small smile back before facing forwards again as he led me down the stairs. Our hands had been intertwined the entire time, mine sweaty from nervousness and his cold and smooth.  

He led me to the leather couch and I sat down beside him. He leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees, staring at me intensely. I stared back and tried to figure out what to do with my hands, finally settling on my bringing my wine glass to my lips and draining it. 

 This time when Shawn smiled, his dimples showed. A low chuckle escaped his lips as he shook his head slightly. 

 "Are you laughing at me?" I poured. 

 "You're very awkward," He grinned.  

"Am not." 

 "Are too."  

"Am not!" I insisted.  A scowl pulled over his face. 

"Do not argue with me, Norah. It's very childish."

  "Why do you do that?" I snapped. His eyes narrowed at me and I managed to hold my ground even under his deadly glare. Thank you, wine. 

"Why do you go from playful to mean in half a second?"

  "You go from cute to annoying in half a second. It's only fair."  "You think I'm annoying?" I huffed. 

"Why am I even here? Take me home, please." 

 "Did you just choose to ignore the fact that I think you're cute? Stay."  

"You said that last time, Mr. Mendes. And now here you are being a dick again!" I groaned. He took the wine glass out of my hand and set it on the black coffee table, alongside his own. I flinched when he took my hands in his oversized ones and scooter closer, narrowing his eyes at me in anger.