Chapter 10 - Misleading morning & assertive text

I buried my face into the scent of the pillows and tugged the soft blanket further over my head. The bed was the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in. I laid in silence until my alarm went off, warning me to get up and start my day. 

Reluctantly climbing out of the bed, I looked in the mirror to make sure I was semi presentable. My hair was in knotted waves and my makeup was smeared. I washed my face quickly before pulling my hair up into a bun and treading gently down the stairs.  I turned the corner of Shawn's large apartment slowly, half hoping he wouldn't be there. My stomach dropped in nervousness when I saw him sitting at the large kitchen table, tapping away quickly on a MacBook. 

 "Hi," I said shyly, tugging the ends of the shirt down further on my legs. His eyes raised quickly from the screen as he glanced up at me, a smile playing at the corner of his lips.

  "Norah," He greeted.

 "There is tea already made. Miss Jennifer will be here to cook soon."  I walked slowly over to the kitchen area, where a silver kettle sat, still steaming. A mug was already set out for me, along with cream and sugar. Shawn's eyes watched me cautiously as I poured myself tea and leaned against the kitchen counter.  

"Did you sleep well?" He asked.

  "Yeah, great. The beds really comfortable."  

"Good."  He sipped his tea and turned his attention back to his laptop. I tried not to stare as he stuck his tongue out in concentration, long fingers scrambling over the keyboard furiously. His head shot up after a few minutes.  

"Stop staring at me," He snapped. "It is very distracting, Norah."  

I blushed bright red and covered my face with my cup of tea. "Sorry."

  There was a light knock on the door as keys jingled, and an older women let herself in. She had on a simple grey dress and shoes. Her brown hair was streaked with grey, tied back in a loose bun. The women pulled open a closet and tied on her apron as Shawn watched her intensely.  She started humming to herself as she turned around, eyes widening when she saw him sitting at the table. 

"Oh, Shawn. I didn't know you'd be here this late. Why on earth aren't you at work?"  I flinched at her causal tone, expecting him to start yelling at her like everyone else. Instead, he smiled widely and his gaze flickered to where I stood, hidden in the kitchen area. 

 "I have a guest, Miss Jennifer," He said simply. Her mouth dropped open in shock as she scurried over to him and sat down at the table, her back still to me.  "What? She's still here?" She gasped. Shawn smirked at her.  

"Yes." 

 "Did you-" 

 "Jennifer," He warned, business tone starting to come in. The plump lady giggled softly, not looking scared at all of him. I decided to let my presence known, and cleared my throat. Jennifer turned in shock and took me in. A bright smile pulled over her face.  

"I'm Norah," I squealed. She ran over and hugged me, pulling me into her soft body and rocking side to side as I struggled to breathe. 

"It's nice to meet you."  She pulled away and held me at arms length.

 "Wow, you are just lovely. Is that Shawn's shirt?"  I glanced down at the oversize black t-shirt that clung to my body. 

"Oh, uhm, yeah. But we didn't, uhm. You know...we didn't-" I had no idea why I was explaining myself to this women. 

 "Miss Jennifer, could you start breakfast please?" Shawn cut in. 

"Norah is hungry."  She rolled her eyes at him and stepped past me, giving me one last squeeze on my arm before heading to the refrigerator. I awkwardly sat down next to Shawn at the kitchen table as she began to crack eggs and work around the kitchen.  He shut his laptop and glanced over at me.