Chapter 1- Cooling coffee & failed attempts

I flipped through the pages of the portfolio aimlessly. It was horrible. Knowing Victoria, would hate it, I tossed it unceremoniously in the trash and reached for the quickly cooling coffee at the edge of my desk with a groan of frustration.

The day had started off shitty( I broke the coffee machine for the third time). I was halfway out of my office and ready to go bother Tyler and avoid working, when my door swung open and he stepped in. Tyler had on fitted black slack with a nice, dark green sweater that made his blue eye pop.

"Hey, Bitch," he greeted. " You look hot today. Whoever picked out your outfit is a gift from God."

I twirled around, stumbling slightly in the process of my modeling attempt.

"I try." I teased. "And I guess roommates who pick out my outfits pick out my outfits and make breakfast are pretty cool ."

He rolled his eye fondly. "We've got a meeting in ten minutes. I assumed you forgot, so here iI am."

"Thank God one of us is organized." I muttered as I reached for my phone and laptop, then followed him out the door.

We walked side by side, gossiping about the latest as  we headed into the meeting room We took our seats at the end of the table , mine by Victoria and Tyler's across from me. He wiggles his eyebrows and I tried to contain my laughter as Victoria walked in.

"Coffee... Norah." she snapped. I stood up immediately and walked back to the break room. After starting a fresh pot, I leaned back against the counter to wait, tapping my heel against the floor and praying the machine wouldn't break like it always seemed to do in my presence.

As soon as it was done, I grabbed the steaming mug and scurried back the meeting room, where everyone was settling down into their seats and shuffling through various papers. I set the coffee in front of my boss, then slid into my chair next her.

"Alright, next months issue," Victoria started shuffling through some papers. " I'm thinking work place chic. Ideas. Go!"

"Section on leather,it's so hot right now," Tyler immediately put in. Everyone nodded in agreement and tapped away at their MacBooks.

"What about a section on women bosses? Powerful and sexy?" A women named Alice tried. She was a pretty blonde with a bob haircut whose ideas were never original, but once given an idea , she could pull together a perfect article. And she was really fun to party with, so therefore one of my good friends.

"So overdone."someone groaned. Alice glared at them until Victoria started talking.

"I agree," She mused, twirling a pen between her long ,thin fingers. "We need something fresh."

Everyone threw ideas in, some being immediately thrown out with disgust, others put into consideration. I chewed on the end of my pencil absentmindedly as I brainstormed, the waited for a lapse of silence in the storm of editors spitting out ideas.

"How about being your own boss? Someone who has risen to the top worked hard to get there, and has extremely good taste." I attempted, while my eye stayed trained on my chipping fingernails as I waited the harsh backlash from Victoria.

Instead, She gave me a strange look before smiling. "I like it. Who though. Think people."

"What about that blogger, Leighton something? She started a blogging website that's getting really popular. She's hot, too." Aaron suggested.

"That's good. Could be interesting. Any other ideas?"

"Oh my god!" Tyler suddenly squealed. Everyone turned to face him as he clapped his hands excitedly.