A decision / 18

The path of pain. It has to stopped. Stop him.
Reach out for Mount Myoboku. The toads will help you.

...-...

Naruto sat on a stone pillar above the village. He was watching the sun starting to rise. It was 5 am. He just sat there and mediated. He was thinking about the hidden message Jiraya left. After his seemingly painful death Jiraya wrote a heart-warming letter for Naruto. Within the notes Naruto could out make a secret message, exclusively for him.

The path of pain. And the path of life. And the student Jiraya spoke of. Naruto was sure. This student had to do something with the death of Jiraya. He failed his mission of bringing the "student of pain" on the path of life.

Naruto opened his eyes. The sun was starting to set down. Naruto smiled. A long time has passed since he spent his evening watching the sunset. It was - for him at least - the most beautiful time of the day and normally he would always spent this time with Ino.

Ino. His face hardened. Naruto was sad. Because this mission was dangerous. And he didn't want to risk the life of Ino by taking her with him. Naruto sighed. He had to go. Now. Before anyone would ask some questions.

Naruto used his teleportation jutsu and ported himself back to his apartment. He sat down on the bed. A backpack was already packed next to him. He used his free time in the afternoon to prepare and wanted to use the rest of the day for meditation.

Naruto looked up. He had to go now. He stood up, grabbed his backpack and some important scrolls lying on the table including the letter of Jiraya and moved towards the door.

Unfortunately, before he could open the door and leave, a familiar voice stopped him.

"Where are you going, Naruto?"

Naruto sighed. It was this meeting he wanted to avoid. He turned around and looked into the worrying eyes of Ino. She wasn't upset or suspicious but only worried.

"What is it, love?"

Naruto turned back to the door. "I have to go. I'm sorry."

"Where? Tell me, please."

Naruto stayed silent.

"Don't you... don't you trust me? Am I'm not good for you?"

Naruto turned back to her and what he saw broke his heart. A sad Ino that was about to tear up. Naruto went to her and embraced her and held her tight.

"I love you Ino. I do. You know this. And I'll love you forever. But he was my mentor. I have to find out the truth and confront the one he was looking for."

Naruto felt Ino crying into his chest. He held her more tightly and kissed her head. 

"I just... I'm just worried about you. You seem to be depressed after his death and you... I'm scared for you, Naruto."

Naruto was nearly at the point to cry himself. "Ino... I'm happy that you feel so much for me. I'll be fine, dear. I will be back and I'll... be happy after this."

Ino pushed herself a bit back and stared into his eyes. "Let me come with you."

He wanted to avoid this topic at any cost. And he screwed up. "No. It will be too dangerous. I can't take you with me. Not at all."

Her tears started to flow faster. Naruto lifted her chin and kissed her.

"Ino. I love you much to let you come with me. I... couldn't live anymore if something happened to you."