Forest Green or Ocean Blue

Elira's POV

I ran full speed after Klaus. For the first time, I let him see me, all of me... And he runs. It's just like him to run away but something deep inside me told me to follow him. To not take his action as a rejection. There was something more to this, and honestly, after everything we've been through I'm not willing to give up that easily.

I watched him disappear into the woods, so I quickened my pace. I was gaining in on him as he zig-zagged between the trees. When I was close enough I leaped at him. I grabbed him around his torso and we both fell onto the forest floor, hard. I quickly flipped him around so I was straddling his hips and held his hands over his head.

"Why are you running away, Niklaus?!" I yelled at him.

He looked at me emotionlessly as he flipped us over. Pinning me to the ground by the throat. As I caught his eyes I saw something in them... something vulnerable but he was quick to hide it again.

I pushed him off me and rushed onto my feet. Klaus did the same and we both stood there staring at each other, only a short distance separating us.

"Answer me, you coward!" I yelled at him again. 

He ignored me, turned, and was about to walk away when I screamed at him again.

"Why won't you face me?! I'm right here, Niklaus. Why won't you talk to me?! I returned to you after all these years, does that mean nothing to you?! Why are you avoiding this?!" I roared at him. 

His instant reaction was not anything near what I expected. He abruptly turned around and yelled;

"BECAUSE I AM AFRAID!" The emotions in his voice were clear as day. He quickly paced towards me entering my personal bubble.

"When you left I didn't know what to do. I was lost... and I needed you!" 

I could see it now. 

The flash of vulnerability in his eyes from earlier. In his mixed eyes of forest green and ocean blue, I could see a lost boy, afraid of being alone. 

Afraid of being left behind... and I had left him behind...

"Do you know how hard I tried to remove you from my mind? But you kept lurking there like a pest, in the deepest darkest parts of it... I thought I would never be able to get rid of you... and I was so close to erasing you completely... yet here you are again." Klaus paused breathing heavily. 

I flinched at his words. They hit home and I deserved it. 

Klaus never left my mind but I had to keep him in a secret little corner to be able to move forward... 

I had not only betrayed him once... I did it twice.

"I know exactly how hard you tried to forget me, Niklaus. I saw you and Caroline..." I knew it was scummy of me to bring it up but I was feeling hurt. I had no defenses left... 

I left myself bare before him, ready for him to punch me where it hurt. I had after all been with Matt for a long while, I deserved this. I watched as shock appeared on Klaus' face.

"How...?" He asked taken aback.

"Where do you think I've been all these years, huh? Twiddling my thumbs? Hoping that maybe you would come to find me? No. I had to change. I had to move forward!" I yelled stepping closer so I was up in his face as I spoke. 

My hurt ego and pride speaking for me.

"My entire life was turned upside down that day! I'm sorry I wasn't there for you, I really am! But news flash I wasn't there for anyone else either, especially myself! I had to start my life all over again, new identity, new friends, new life!" My blood was boiling in my veins. I hated that I understood where he was coming from but this time it was not about him.