Time to Say Goodbye

Klaus's POV

"It's over. It's finally over." Elijah sighed as he sat down beside the rocking, little ball that was Scarlett, his suit ripped and covered in bloodstains. His face covered in scratches and bruises. I do not understand my brother sometimes. After everything that has happened, he can just sit beside her. She is the reason we were in this situation in the first place. 

Marcel's gone... dead, and Hope is missing. At least I know she's safe with Hayley even though I would rather have my littlest wolf by my side.

"Alexandra..." Elijah started but she didn't respond. 

"Hey, look at me," Elijah demanded softly and turned her face towards him. 

I felt a surge of jealousy as he did so. I should not be feeling this way, she tried to split and kill my family. But I can't account for my feelings anymore. Being around her is like standing in the eye of the storm, everything seems unclear, passing before my eyes... everything fleeting... except her. She's the only thing that is clear as day to me...

Scarlett looked at Elijah but there was no emotion or recognition on her face. She looked dead inside, her eyes like looking into an abyss. 

"It's going to be okay, " Elijah said unsure, looking into her eyes as if he was searching for something. 

After a moment Scarlett moved her head back, so she could look at Mikael's ashes again. Elijah let out a defeated sigh and stood up. Scarlett had stopped rocking back and forth but was still hugging her knees close to her chest as if her life depended on it.

Elijah approached me slowly. 

"She's not well, Niklaus. Mikael appears to be what grounded her and now that he is gone it was as if something has broken inside her. When I looked at her it was like looking at a ghost. It was as if I could see straight through her..." Elijah trailed off with a hint of worry in his voice. I glanced at my brother then my eyes drifted to Scarlett's deadly still form.

"I don't know what to do, brother..." Elijah finished waiting for me to respond. 

"I believe she simply needs some time," I answered turning to look at Elijah. 

"You may be right... I'm going to go and get cleaned up. I look as if I have been dragged through the mud," Elijah said with a clever smile on his face and walked off toward our home. Before he entered he turned to me and said; 

"Take care of yourself, brother." He looked at Scarlett and then at me before he disappeared into the house. I knew what he meant. Scarlett could be the end of me... He doesn't want me to get hurt. That's my stupid big brother... Always putting others first.

Elijah's POV

Klaus may not know it but I see how he looks at Scarlett. I have not seen that look on his face in decades. I don't know what is happening to Scarlett at the moment but Klaus needs to be careful. Mikael may be dead but she has proven that switching sides is not difficult for her. If he is in love with her I do not wish to see the result if she rejects him. 

Knowing he could hear me I talked out loud to myself; 

"Like I said once upon a time, brother. I let her in and even now I do not know if that was the right decision... and now it seems that goes for the both of us"

---------------

Klaus's POV

I stood there for a minute, simply taking it all in. My father is finally gone. The nightmare is over... We don't have to run anymore. We can finally have a permanent home but I feel that it won't be complete. There has and always will be a missing piece and I... I believe that piece is her.