Chapter 23 - Stuffed suitcase & letting loose

Comincia dall'inizio

"Hey, Andrew." I greeted as I tugged my suitcase out of the apartment. 

 "Miss Wilson," He replied, taking the suitcase out of my grasp. "Let me get this for you." 

 I thanked him quietly and we headed down the stairs of my building to the usual waiting Range Rover. He put my overpacked suitcase in the trunk and I climbed into the back seat. We drove in a awkward silence, my only attempt at conversation coming in the form of 'Its cold in Pickering , right?' and Andrew replying with a nod. I stopped trying after that.  

The airport was only a few minutes away, where we pulled into a side gate. He opened my door for me and carried my suitcase before leading me in a door. Shawn's back was to me as he sat, his phone held to his ear as I approached.  

"I am sick of this. I will not deal with it anymore, Hailey....Do not contact me while I am in Pickering, understand? Yes. Always," He muttered. His eyes flickered up to me as I approached. "I will talk to you later, Hailey...goodbye."  

He hung up and shoved his phone in his pocket as he stood to greet me, body towering over me as he pulled me into him. My hands fluttered up to his chest and he leaned down to give me a swift kiss on the lips.  

"I'm glad you came," He murmured, thumbs tracing lazy patterns across my lower back. "And I'm glad you wore those glasses again."  

"Me too. I think." I responded. He frowned and stepped away from me before offering me his hand.  

"Come. The jet is waiting. And do not say anything about Hailey."

  I let out a huff that I was so easy to read and we walked towards a different door that Andrew and I had entered from. The cool air greeted us as we stepped outside, a large black jet with the stairs down standing by itself. 'Mendes Enterprise' was written in bold letters across the side.  I stepped up the stairs gingerly, only Shawn's broad hand on my back keeping me from falling down the steep steps.

 There was a blonde women in a flight attendants suit waiting, whose smile quickly faltered as she caught sight of me latched onto Shawn's arm.

  "Mr. Mendes, I was not aware you would be having a guest."  He barely glanced at her as we stepped into the lavish cabin, complete with leather couches, a TV, a mini fridge and bar, and a door which I assumed led to a bathroom.

 "Well, you should have been. Have the files I requested brought out immediately, as well as whatever Norah would like."  

She turned to me with a fake grin. "What can I get you?" 

 "Uhm, some water would be nice," I mumbled. She left and I sat down on the edge of the leather couch beside Shawn, whose head was in his hands and his fingers were tugging at the ends of his hair. I tentatively reached out, letting my hand come to a rest on his shoulder. He stiffened and glanced up at me. 

"Uh, are you okay?" 

 "Yes." 

 "Can I ask why you're wearing a suit for the plane ride?"  

"I had a meeting this morning, Norah," He snapped.

 I let my hand fall from his shoulder. "There is some work I need to get done while we are traveling. You should sleep. The time zone will throw you off."  

"I've already had coffee, I won't be able to sleep," I shrugged.  

"You should."  

"Well I can't, okay?" I scoffed .

  Before he could give the mean response that I knew was coming, the flight attendant re-entered with a bottle of fancy looking water that had a brand name I had never heard of before, and a large box with multiple files. She set the box on the table beside Shawn and handed the bottle to me before making her hasty exit.