Chapter 22 - Business bullshit & unplanned travel

Start from the beginning

"Good enough. Will you mix those in with the red sauce? Then you can go get ready."

"Got it, Master Chef!"

After I mixed up the pasta sauce, I grabbed my glass of wine and scuttled away to my room to pick out a simple outfit. I finally decided on black skinny jeans, tan wedges, and a green chiffon shirt that made my complexion look a little bit tanner than normal. I finished my makeup and hair in less than 30 minutes and returned to the kitchen where Tyler was no where to be found.

The salad was already dressed and ready to be served and the main dish was in the oven, smelling heavenly. I resigned to picking at my nails, which were already bitten down to the ends, and sipping on my wine while waiting for him to get ready. He came back a few minutes later in his usual attire of bright pants, a knit sweater over a collared shirt, and a bow tie.

"You look dashing, darling," I cooed, giving him sloppy kisses on either side of his cheeks. He pushed me away playfully.

"Those heels are killer," He commented in approval.

Before I could thank him, the doorbell rang. My first instinct was to feign sickness and cancel the dinner, but with a stern look form Tyler I was sent to the door with a pounding heart. I opened it to reveal Shawn Mendes, CEO, in casual wear for the second time. He had on dark skinny jeans that hugged his fit legs and a plain white t-shirt. Over the t-shirt was an expensive looking jacket with a fur collar, popped up for warmth.

He wore dark brown boots on his feet that were well worn. His cheeks were flushed from walking in the quickly-cooling New York weather, the tip of his nose a bright red. He gave me a devilish smirk and swished his hair to the side, then held up a bottle of the wine I loved so much.

"Am I too casual for dinner, Norah?"

"The whole no suit thing kind of throws me off," I admitted sheepishly.

He leaned down and gave me a quick peck on the cheek, his scent instantly making me weak in the knees. I took a deep breath and smiled up at him in an attempt to appear confident.

"You will get used to it. Now, am I invited inside?" I blushed furiously and stepped aside, offering him entrance to my small apartment. The last time he was here he had to put me to bed after chasing me around the apartment playfully while I was drunk. Not to mention making out. That was fun, too.

"Tyler, you know Shawn," I said awkwardly as we stepped into the kitchen. One of his hands was already protectively around my waist. He offered Tyler his free hand and they shook, both trying to intimidate the other. It might have been one of the funniest things I'd ever seen, little Tyler trying to scare the master of intimidation himself.

"Shawn, how are you?" He greeted.

"I'm doing well, thank you. And you?" Shawn replied formally.

"I'm doing alright."

"It smells lovely in here. What are you cooking?"

"Lasagna, salad, and garlic bread." Tyler shrugged.

"I cut the vegetables," I added proudly, easing my hand to prove my point. Tyler rolled his eyes and dismissed me with a wave. This was one of the things that the two men seemed to have in common, dismissing me and being way to overprotective. And being annoyed with me.

"She can't cook worth shit. Don't ever let her in your kitchen."

"Can too!" I huffed.

Shawn looked down at me in amusement, giving my side a light squeeze. "She is a horrible liar. I brought her favorite wine, by the way. I thought we could drink it with dinner."