Six

Crooked

Six

          "Dumb ass bitch." Epiphany muttered to herself as she looked at her reflection in the mirror, combing through the 2nd to last braid to get it out of her hair. She had a big scratch under her eye from her fight and three small scratches on her cheek. She didn't even want to go see Crook anymore because of them. She was positive that the scratches wouldn't be gone by Saturday, which was in two days.

All four girls were suspended for a week. Epiphany felt bad for getting Aaliyah suspended, but Aaliyah told her not to and that she refused to watch Epiphany get jumped and not do anything about it. Shay crossed Epiphany's mind for a split second. She felt betrayed that she didn't jump in because if tables were turned, Epiphany would have jumped in, in a heartbeat.

It just boggled Epiphany's mind that Aaliyah who was pregnant and who she had only met in the beginning of the 12th grade year would jump in before Shay, her friend since the 3rd grade. The whole situation made Epiphany feel less bad about talking to Crook. She could care less now. She knew who her real friend was. When Epiphany finally finished taking out her hair, she smiled at herself in the mirror.

Her favorite part of her putting in protective styles, was taking them out. It was her favorite because she could see how much her natural hair had grown and she loved her big Afro. A sudden loud banging on her door took Epiphany out of her lala land.

Epiphany assumed it was Leroy coming home early from Travante's house, but the boy knew better than to bang on the door like he was crazy. Besides he had keys to the apartment. Travante and Leroy had been hanging out a lot more than usual and Epiphany just hoped that they weren't up to no good.

"Who is it?" Epiphany yelled out after she easily peaked out the peep hole due to her 5'8 stature. She saw nobody outside her door and hoped it wasn't those kids in her building that liked to play ding dong ditch. She wasn't in the mood, and she knew that if they had banged on her door again, somebody would be getting cursed the fuck out.

Epiphany stood there in a big baby pink T-shirt that fell to her knees, revealing her long chocolate legs. She had on some shorts under it, but they weren't noticeable since the shirt was so big. "Yooo, E!"

Epiphany opened the door, instantly knowing who it was. "How many times I gotta tell you to stop banging on my door like that, Tykem?" Epiphany playfully said, putting her hand on her waist, acting like she had an attitude.

Ty Ty cheesed hard at her, almost forgetting the reason why he came over in the first place. Ty Ty always looked good as he stood there in his black Polo hoodie, light wash Amiri jeans and all black Jordans on his feet.

"You aight?" Ty Ty said, instantly scanning Epiphany's face. He had heard throughout the block that she had gotten jumped by Diamond and Jailee at school. He felt disrespected when he saw that the scratches on her face confirmed the rumors being told. Jailee knew Epiphany was like a sister to him.

"I am, you need to control your lil girlfriend. She be going around startin' mess for no reason."

"You know damn well that's not my girl." Ty Ty said, getting a little tight. He hated when somebody called Jailee his girlfriend when it wasn't even like that. "I promise imma handle it, the next time I see her." he continued.

He just took her virginity and stayed around because he felt bad. He didn't have any feelings towards her and did what he did, to preserve hers, but he just couldn't forgive her for what she did.

"I don't need you to handle nothin' for me Ty Ty. I'm a big girl,"

Jumping Epiphany was outta pocket and he knew he was gonna make sure Jailee knew it the next time he saw her regardless of what Epiphany had to say.

"Yea aight," Ty Ty spoke again, wanting to change the subject. "But I missed you girl! You ain't gon give your man a hug?"

"My man?" Epiphany started laughing. Ty Ty was such a trip.

"Yeah, keep frontin'." Epiphany rolled her eyes as she walked into Ty Ty's arms. They hugged for a long time before they separated. Even though Ty Ty was just her friend, Epiphany had to admit that it felt good being held by a man. Epiphany closed the door behind Ty Ty before they walked into the living room.

"How come you don't come to school anymore?" Epiphany questioned, already knowing the answer as Ty Ty sat beside her on the couch.

"Epiphany, you know I don't fuck with that school shit at all."

"But why Ty Ty? You're so smart. This is your last year, you'll be a fool if you don't finish."

"I got better things to do." Ty Ty answered, shrugging as he pulled on the strings in his hoodie, tightening it around his head.

"By better, you mean by selling drugs?" Epiphany shook her head in disappointment.

"Look, E I ain't came here to get chastised by you. I came here to see if you was good. Nothing more, nothing less."

"You always wanna check up on somebody and never worry about yourself." Epiphany sighed, shaking her head once again. "Ty Ty, I just don't wanna see anything bad happen to you."